Putting bungee on the backup reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As per my instructor's suggestion I use the single zip tie method. 1 zip tie holds both the bungee and mouthpiece. I keep the right side tag end of the bungee a bit long so I can adjust the length of the necklace if needed due to change in exposure protection.

I've used the home made bungee version as well and have never had it come loose. And I carry one pre-tied in my save-a-dive kit.

When you melt the cut ends of bungee, only heat it enough to melt the braided cover. If you burn the rubber 1) it stinks up the house, and 2) it'll leave soot on everything for a bit.

Henrik

I use the knotted bungee because it will slip out if someone pulls fairly hard. I explain to folks I dive with that, in an emergency, they are welcome to any regulator I have. So I figure if someone ever goes for my bungeed 2nd rather than the bubbling one in my mouth, it will be better for both of us if it can be pulled loose.

Our T1 instructor Richard Lundgren very very specifically described the downside of using a single tie wrap to hold both the bungie and mouthpiece in place. In addition to what people have already mentioned with regards to tugging on the bungie on the surface, think of how many times you've caught your bungie as you were lifting your gear up, or standing it up on the bulkhead or tailgate. Every time you tug or catch that bungie it will strain that zip tie. Do you really want the single zip tie holding a valuable piece of you life support device in place. Mouthpieces are there for a reason, they make your regulator easier and more comfortable to use. It seems to me that being as sure as possible that the mouthpiece stays in place is an integral part of the holistic process that is our gear configuration.

Therefor my first choice is a tied and knotted bungie - I've rarely had it come off and it makes it easier to switch second stages if i need to field swap due to leaky second stage - or loan one to a buddy from my spare reg set without needing spare zip tie, pliers (optional) and knife or scissors for replacement.

Second choice (and one i do use in a pinch) is the second zip tie method and bungie. This is most often used because i have somehow run out of bungie and scavenged it from somewhere (random bungie wing on the boat?) and it's not long enough to do the tied and knotted method, and i'm trying to very quickly come up with something for a new to GUE style buddy and they want to try out the bungied backup idea. Most likely i'll make them a knotted necklace when i get home :wink:

The mouthpiece doesn't come off though. That's the neat thing about the ziptie method :wink:

Exactly, the mouthpiece doesn't come off. I inadventently stepped on my necklace cord this weekend on the boat while picking up my gear. The bungie stretched and eventually came out from underneath the ziptie (the knot gets really small when the cord is pulled really hard). Mouthpiece and ziptie remained firmly intact on the reg after 1 end of the bungie came out. I had to cut the ziptie and replace it to put the bungie back underneath.

The concept that pulling on the cord will pull off the mouthpeice is a fallacy.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I now have 2 valid alternatives. I just made a knotted tied necklace (no tie-wrap), and will try that for a while and see how it goes.

I will be taking Primer in a couple of months (followed hopefully by Fundies when I get up my nerve), so we shall see if I pass the equipment inspection.

I really appreciate the time that you all took to help me!

The mouthpiece won't come out. Do it the other way and you WILL lose your necklace if your not careful.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I now have 2 valid alternatives. I just made a knotted tied necklace (no tie-wrap), and will try that for a while and see how it goes.

I will be taking Primer in a couple of months (followed hopefully by Fundies when I get up my nerve), so we shall see if I pass the equipment inspection.

I really appreciate the time that you all took to help me!

GUE isn't that picky. Well at least they haven't been in the past, next month who knows. Afterall, the backup reg is for you and you have to decide how willing you are to lose track of it. The non-zipped tied way, along with the little silicon cord necklace things, are both "ok" but the reg will eventually come out someday.

GUE isn't that picky. Well at least they haven't been in the past, next month who knows. Afterall, the backup reg is for you and you have to decide how willing you are to lose track of it. The non-zipped tied way, along with the little silicon cord necklace things, are both "ok" but the reg will eventually come out someday.

I despise the "little silicone cord necklace things," at least the Manta-branded ones. EACH time I did an S drill with one of those, my reg popped free.

I use the double fisherman's knot, BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I despise the "little silicone cord necklace things," at least the Manta-branded ones. EACH time I did an S drill with one of those, my reg popped free.

What were you doing during an s drill that caused the reg to come out?

Bungee under zip tie here.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom