Lavacore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgillis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any news on the lavacore wetsuits?

I saw a rack full of them at my LDS. I tried on the short sleeved shirt and liked it alot. The quality seemed good. I think it will be perfect for use in Cancun and be a nice additional layer under my 7 mil for diving here in the frigid north.

I got one from my LDS today. Going to test it as an undergarment for a my Black Ice dry suit tomorrow, if my buddy doesn't stand me up again.

hey let me know how that goes also interested under my dry suit not to mention this summer diving Joe

Any further comment about the Lavacore full body suit as a drysuit undersuit? I'm very seriously considering getting one within days, mostly for the purpose of using it as an undersuit in quite cold water diving (US Pacific North West). Of course I'll also be happy to use it as a wet suit for warm water diving later, but for now it's the use as an undersuit that I'm interested in.

Our shop sells the Lavacore. To note: I have never used one, but from the impressions I have gotten from others, it is nothing more than a thick dive skin with perhaps a bit more insulation than a lycra skin. One of the bad things is we've had a couple come back with problems with the seams coming unraveled. I know a couple people who've tried to use them for drysuit undergarments & they were about useless, except in the warmest of waters (trilaminate drysuits).

thanks, that's extremely helpful though very disappointing. Is there any other option that is anywhere near as thin and light weight that could actually be used as an undersuit for cold water diving? I've very interested in portability, and most "snow mobile suit" type undergarments are just too bulky. I'd think by 2012 there would be a viable option...

I was considering layering a lavacore with several other layers.

I do a lot of sports so I have a lot of spare fleece type stuff laying around that is probably going to be more comfortable than normal thermals.

I planned on wearing a pair of these:
REI Heavyweight Polartec Power Dry Zip-T - Men's at REI.com
REI Heavyweight Polartec Power Dry Long Underwear Bottoms - Men's at REI.com
I wear these as my ONLY layer below my shell when skiing/snowboarding in subzero temps as they wick really well already. So hopefully that is enough.

Over the lavacore as well as wearing a set of synthetic base layers underneath the lavacore for better wicking properties (underarmour anyone?).

Assuming the lavacore is around 200g/m2, I believe the REI stuff is around 200g/m2 as well if not more, gives an effective of around 400g/m2. I'm hoping for awesome flexibility from them.

I have not tried one yet. But the few people I have talked to who have used them were pleased. They used the product under a wetsuit..primarily for cold water quarry dives here in Ohio.

excellent idea, lenaxia. wish someone has actually tried it, but i suppose that layering idea is enough to be the guinea pig myself.

however, i don't think that Zip-T would work. how would the neck seal? need a crew neck, no?

Dave, i'm asking specifically about usage with a DRYSUIT.

Back
Top Bottom