No white fins on a shark dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see a pattern throughout the discussion of "shark" being used in what I think is a too generalized matter. To state that sharks like this or sharks dislikes that etc is at best too easily concluded. There are today at least 406 different species of sharks recorded and the diversity is extremely varied. Some shark species are visual predators, some are not predators at all, while some can hardly see anything with their eyes (and they don't need to) and some apparently have color vision, others not. I recommend anyone to have a closer look at the diversity of shark species –I promise it makes for interesting discoveries :wink:– and it will become clear why simply using colorful items of scuba gear might, or might not, have a significant effect on how the particular “shark” you’re swimming with behaves while around you.

How does the white allow her to get closer? In any case, I'd love to talk with her. Would you be willing to PM me some contact info or relay mine to her? I've got a month to go and I'm still bumming a little bit about my options. That's how much I like the performance (color notwithstanding) of my Mantarays.

White fins do not allow you to get closer. White fins are often used by underwater photographers because it gives you a solid white surface against which you can set the manual white balance in your camera.

"keep your fins on and hands closed around the rope"

this is what Stuart Cove's told us snorkelers when getting into the water for the shark encounter portion of the trip. The 'reason' being that the light palms and light soles tend to look like fish to the sharks ..... who knows. (they stayed ~30ft below us since we didn't have any snacks lol)

SCUBA: At Molasses Reef in Key Largo we came across 3 blacktip sharks, possibly the same one cruising around but maybe not as the entourage was different for two of them. We both had shocking white legs in our shortys lol.

Absolutely no interest from the sharks.

What Robert didn't realize while having that picture taken was that a 14-15 ft. great white shark was patrolling about 25 yards away. Since his fins were above the water, the GWS didn't see them.

I've been on shark dives in the past (you know, when there really WERE sharks in abundance in our waters) and they did seem attracted to the high contrast yellow and white fins (although none of them, ever took a bite out of one).

umm...

24571_716345046621_11616_38896518_3591571_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom