Freediving books for starters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krtismo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good freediving book for amateurs?

I do underwater photography and videography while snorkeling and I'm looking to increase my underwater time.

Thanks,

-Kurt

Try to get "Freedive" by Terry Maas/David Sipperly.(ISBN # 0-9644966-1-5)

Pretty comprehensive, but easy to understand book on all the basics and various applications of freediving, even has a chapter dedicated to UW-photography. I'm sure, you'll find this book a very helpful source of info.

That is one of the books I was considering, unfortunately it's a little more money than I wanted to spend at $51 shipped.

Here is the leading candidate so far:

Amazon.com: Manual of Freediving: Underwater on a Single Breath (9781928649274): Umberto Pelizzari, Stefano Tovaglieri: Books

Try to get "Freedive" by Terry Maas/David Sipperly.(ISBN # 0-9644966-1-5)

Pretty comprehensive, but easy to understand book on all the basics and various applications of freediving, even has a chapter dedicated to UW-photography. I'm sure, you'll find this book a very helpful source of info.

Just my 2c, but based on your initial post, I'd say, you'll get more out of "Freedive".
Bought the book a few years ago to brush up after a long hyatis from snorkeldiving, and found quite a bit of good info in there, definitely worth the money in my view.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on it.

It does seem like the more appropriate book, it just makes it harder to convince the wife that I need to spend $50 so I can "Hold my breath longer":)

I recommend Umberto Pelizzari's 'Manual of Freediving, Underwater on a Single Breath'.

It's a great 'how to' manual that is easy to understand and offers a wealth of helpful information on all aspects of freediving training.

I also recommend Pipin Ferraras 'The Dive: A Story of Love and Obsession'. It's an autobiography. I just finished reading this yesterday. A magical book, that really gives an insight into the mindset and wonder of the freediver. A tragic and sometimes harrowing tale also.

I would save up the money and purchase both whenever possible. Pelizarri's book may be considered a bit more advanced but both offer a wealth of info to any freediver. And once you delve into it, you'll likely want to learn more and advance yourself. Great reads!

Back
Top Bottom