Gouged by ATM in Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow Dave this gives me pause to think, I always bring a lot of dollars but exchanging them over has always been a pain and so I have used the ATM's but I guess I should think twice.

I remember Dave's problems but I am amazed that the bank would not cover the fraudulent losses?! :eek:

I remember Dave's problems but I am amazed that the bank would not cover the fraudulent losses?! :eek:

IT DID HAPPEN and clearly happens all the time and clearly it is not fraudulaent or the ATM wouldn't get away with it - it is outrageous but not fraudulent. Legal daylight robbery.

My bank just sees a deduction of $240, $240 and $350 from a Cozumel ATM whereas I only withdreww $200, $200 and $300 <--- how can my bank deduce whether I personally withdrew the extra $$ or if the ATM gouged me? They can't. It doesn't register as a fee on my account.

Spoke to my USA bank and they said there is nothing they can do.

The Cozumel ATM company name is on my statement online so I am going to try and really pester them. I did this with Priceline and won. The guy earlier in this thread whio said *This Should Be Big News* is spot on.

I flew to Coz on the basis that my Dive Op gave me a great deal if I paid USD cash (admittedly SHE steered me to said ATM and presumably she knows the deal there so I am pissed with her too) and i did a lot of dives and paid way over the regular price at the end of the day and I was on a streamlined budget.

Pah!

Diving was cool however.

What is the name of the ATM company so that others will be forewarned and steer clear of this major ripoff?

IT DID HAPPEN and clearly happens all the time and clearly it is not fraudulaent or the ATM wouldn't get away with it - it is outrageous but not fraudulent. Legal daylight robbery.

My bank just sees a deduction of $240, $240 and $350 from a Cozumel ATM whereas I only withdreww $200, $200 and $300 <--- how can my bank deduce whether I personally withdrew the extra $$ or if the ATM gouged me? They can't. It doesn't register as a fee on my account.

Spoke to my USA bank and they said there is nothing they can do.

The Cozumel ATM company name is on my statement online so I am going to try and really pester them. I did this with Priceline and won. The guy earlier in this thread whio said *This Should Be Big News* is spot on.

I flew to Coz on the basis that my Dive Op gave me a great deal if I paid USD cash (admittedly SHE steered me to said ATM and presumably she knows the deal there so I am pissed with her too) and i did a lot of dives and paid way over the regular price at the end of the day and I was on a streamlined budget.

Pah!

Diving was cool however.

I would think that whoever steered you to that ATM would be happy to serve as feet on the ground to help you work this out and avoid being down-range in the mud bath that is likely to ensue.

I believe you both ok, at least enough for discussion here, but his deal was totally different if you want to read it closely.

I do avoid using ATMs there for my week or less low budget trips so I am not very experienced - just barely enough to be amazed at the problems of you two. Almost all of my trip is booked in USDs, much of it prepaid. My diving isn't but I just ask them to accept a large deposit on arrival rather than keeping up with the money all week, keeping up with the receipt instead, and I don't mind carrying $500 or so with me on the trip down. My extra expenses there are often so small that I don't mind accepting a poor exchange rate on my USDs and I carry lots of $1s, $2s, $5s, etc.

I guess I will stop suggesting the use of ATMs at all. Hope you had a nice trip otherwise and did get a good deal otherwise. Check here for ideas next time you plan tho. :eyebrow:

I have had no problems with the ATM's at the supermarket there but I di get ripped off, as did two of my companions, using an ATM over in Playa. It was in a bar so I guess you have to be choosey as to which ATM's you use.

What is the name of the ATM company so that others will be forewarned and steer clear of this major ripoff?

Just checked my online account activity - my mistake: it doesn't give name of company that owns and runs the ATM service but the ATMs are the ones at the end of every street in Coz and presumably distinct and separate from the bank owned machines in the town center

edit

Whoa!

Just spoke to Fraud Dept at my bank (again) and they have refunded me the money and put an alert on those ATMs pending further investigation - whatever that actually means. They said they believe my story re a *mis-dispense of funds*

Go Citibank!

I think I'll write a letter to some bigwig in Coz too. Those ATMs need to be put in check.

:no:

We had no problems with the HSBC ATM, we got a preloaded gift card from our bank $750 before we left. We got pesos 3 times from the HSBC ATM, 3000, 3000, and 2000 the fees were 21 pesos. Perhaps it was that you got US dollars out of the ATM.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom