Haskel Pumps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abyssalblue:
Can someone explain the use and reasoning of Haskel pumps in rebreather diving. Thank you

Todd
We use portable Monel/O2 Cleaned Haskel boosters to derive desired mixes and to take as much O2 out of a bank cylinder to fill our primary O2 cylinders. If we did not use the booster we would be stuck with minimal amounts of gas in our cylinders.

I use the KISS Nano-Booster to boost O2 as bottles on a dive boat can get rather low (below 1000psi). With the booster I'm able to fill my O2 bottle to 2400psi (higher is possible).

More details at http://www.tech-blue.com/en-us/p_59.html

CcrBoy:
I use the KISS Nano-Booster to boost O2 as bottles on a dive boat can get rather low (below 1000psi). With the booster I'm able to fill my O2 bottle to 2400psi (higher is possible).

More details at http://www.tech-blue.com/en-us/p_59.html

The good thing about the KISS pump is that it is small and portable....bad thing......really, really, really slow. But if your diving in the sticks that's ok.

VoodooGas:
The good thing about the KISS pump is that it is small and portable....bad thing......really, really, really slow. But if your diving in the sticks that's ok.

But I find with 20cuft rebreather cylinders is works great. As the supoply gas gets lower it slows down too. Farallon sells this booster too.

DPV

Boosters let you compress gases that are already compressed, to even higher pressures.

Since most commercial gasses tend to come in 2400 psi or so cylinders, there's no way to fill a 3000 psi scuba or RB tank with them, expecially because the pressure drops as the contents are used. That's where the booster comes in - it lets you take the gas in a tank with, say 600 psi in it, and boost it into a 3000 psi tank, so one can not only get full pressure fills in the RB tank, but also use most of the contents of the supply cylinder.

They aren't just an RB thing - the same problem exists when mixing for open circuit, but not quite as bad because then you are usually topping off with air which gives some leeway. However they are pretty much indespensible with RBs since they often require HP fills of straight O2, or O2/He mixes.

Regarding Gordons' booster...I find it to be pretty good at boosting O2 into my 20cu ft tanks or spheres, but bumping He is mind numbing slow...
Really shows how compressible helium is....

I actually built my own booster using the book from airspeed press and a local machine shop. It cost me half the price of an oxygen clean haskel but boosts just as fast, if not faster.

DRIVE
I've looked at the military surplus Haskels and some others which all are air driven. This seems unnecessarily complicated and cumbersome. Is there available an electric motor drive or gas engine drive unit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom