What's the difference between these two spools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surely the size of the spool relates to the length of line it holds? How does stainless allow you to accomodate more line, around the same diameter?
Stainless spools are 1/3 the thickness so yes they do take up less space, and hold the same amount of line as a standard spool.
Must be a bugger if you drop it... at least with a plastic spool you've got a shot at grabbing it, if it is unraveling.
That is the challenge with a less neutral spool. I would recommend not dropping it and so far I have succeeded. If I ever do though it can only fall 75' from the surface (Assuming my SMB has air in it).
Do they sell a gold plated one? Or would you just order that as a special custom job? It'd look nice with your diamond encrusted LPI and ruby-mounted depth gauge. :wink:
Where do I get the diamond studded dive gear? I have been looking for a long time :confused: All the money I could have saved by not getting into diving sure would have bought some nice jewelry though.

If you clip them off to a butt d-ring, you can find out how good the Delrin is . . . when you sit on them. Cheap plastic spools BREAK.

+1, I've broken a few plastic spools this way. That said, if you're careful and stow the spools in your pockets they will last longer. I have a bunch of spools and when I'm grabbing my gear I'll always grab the Halcyon one. The others just tend to sit in the storage bins.

Where do I get the diamond studded dive gear? I have been looking for a long time

I can supply it. Just let me know your criteria and I'll supply a quote.

You can find more details on my website:

http://www.afoolandtheirmoney.com :wink:

All the money I could have saved by not getting into diving sure would have bought some nice jewelry though.

Isn't that the truth! I once remember owning a nice hand-made British sportscar. Then I became a diver....

Reactions: Jax
I never clip the spool on the butt D-ring so the extra strenght of Delrin means nothing.
As someone already suggested buy two cheap one instead of H brand.
Oxycheq also makes spool from Delrin as well.

So the 'H' spool deploys at twice the speed of the Diverite one?

...and gets you laid?

Too funny! (And my 300ZX didn't help . . . )

Reactions: Jax
I have the style similar to the dive right model, but I like the innovations on the Halcyon spool. I'll like to see if my LDS carries them.
"Innovations"
Its a plastic spool with holes in the side and a collar sticking out, and they want like $50 for it........are you kidding me?
Go get a Manta mini!
:wink:

"Innovations"
Its a plastic spool with holes in the side and a collar sticking out, and they want like $50 for it........are you kidding me?

Sometimes the best innovations are the small ones, that no other manufacturer considers.

The coldwater reel is really a good idea, if you're using thick gloves. The design is simple and clever... and a big improvement on a regular spool.

The price tag, as with all things branded 'H' is high. Value for money can only be determined by the individual diver though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom