Sony NEX-5, Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those look very good, MRXRAY. I took my out this weekend, but just not a weekend for photos. First time with the housing, colder than sin and bad visibility. Wasn't really feeling it. Hopefully, better luck next time!

Hello MRXRAY

About our question, i use normaly aperture priority mode and set the aperture depending to the motive. For White Blance i use the Auto-Setup, only when i use the Magic Filter and now flash, i set it with a white-card. One of the important things is the metering mode, for underwater pictures i use only "Center" or "Spot". For some special picutres without flash i set speed, aperture, ISO manually.
But the most important thing for me is to shot in RAW mode to have at the best possible quality for your images.

About your images, i would try to go closer and concentrate more to one detail. I think that way give you more chance get good results at the beginning with the new setup. Wide angle like picture two is difficult and not so easy with with poor visibility.
Look forward to your next pictures.

I will further this week make some more dives and hope i can show you some results with both lenses.

Tino

All the pics are Awesome!! I am in the process of ordering my Nauticam housing and accessories. Debating if I should start with the fish eye port or the 18-55 zoom lens port. Of course I want both but trying to save some money on this huge purchase. Seeing the photos that Tino and MRXRAY have taken make it even harder for me to decide. I like what both lens can do, any suggestions on which port if you had to choose should be???????

Hi wakegirl

Safe money with underwater photograpy is not easy! ;-)
What kind of divesites you dive most time? What can you see at this divesites? If you have a mixture of bigger and smaller fishes and some landscape, i recommend you the 18-55mm with planport for start. My colleague has also buy that setup to safe money and to have the flexibility for his pictures.

With the Fisheye and Domeport you are not so flexible and the illumination is also much more difficult.

Greetings from Switzerland,

Tino

Thank you so much Tino. 80% of my dive sites have been on Bonaire which has huge reefs some big fish but mostly the small ones you have to look for.

I'd agree with Tino and go with the 18-55 lens and port to start with as it provides much more flexability.

Thank you, I did order the 18-55 and all the other gear through reefphoto.com I actually received it yesterday in the mail and can't wait to try it out at the Texas Flower Gardens on Memorial.:uwphotographer:

Congrats wakegirl. Can't wait to see some of your photos from the Flower Gardens.

I was on the Oriskany last weekend and shot the following photo(s) with the 16mm lens with fisheye adapter, in a dome port.

DSC00861.jpg

Here are a few Nex-5/Nauticam shots I took last month in a cenote near Tulum.

I am really enjoying the Nauticam setup - it is significantly easier to travel with than my old Subal/Canon rig.

I have been shooting with shutter priority, and manually adjusting the aperture and the color temp. for white balance. It's easy to get a good white balance as you can see the results in real time as you adjust the temp.

John

Attachments

• DSC01706.jpg
    DSC01706.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC01589.jpg
    DSC01589.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC01710.jpg
    DSC01710.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC02010.jpg