Media Luna Trip Report and Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CajunDiva

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi ScubaBoard Buddies! As promised, here I am to post my trip report of our stay at the brand new Media Luna Resort. Disclaimer: I tend to be very long-winded and there have been MANY requests for information, so if you don't want to read all of the "stuff" just skip down to the pictures and have fun :D

As you know by now, my entire family and friends' dive vacation (and my dear hubby's 70th birthday bash) were jeopardized by the unfortunate series of events that occurred between Fantasy Island Resort and Fantasy Dive Travel. I have to confess that I have NEVER been so stressed out in my entire life. This was a huge event in the lives of our kids, grandkids and friends, so their potential loss weighed heavily on me. I felt confident that the arrangements made for us at a "new" resort could be trusted, but there were so many unknowns that I was just unable to let go of the stress...until the last member of our party arrived the day after we did. Once everyone was present and accounted for, I was able to kick back, settle in and truly begin to appreciate everything around me. This turned out to be very easy, because not only did Rich follow through with making sure our reservation was taken care of, he also surprised us by upgrading us to a suite as a birthday gift to hubby :D

Media Luna Resort is absolutely gorgeous! From the moment you drive up, the amazing views abound. The best part is that everything just seems to blend into the landscape - it is a true eco resort. And even better than the resort itself are the employees that work there. Each person we encountered seemed genuinely happy to be there...it wasn't just a job - they really seemed to enjoy being a part of Media Luna :D I can't even believe how much they did for us! They threw a birthday party for hubby that we never even dreamed of. The chef is SO FULL OF LIFE and so animated. He asked me if the birthday cake should be large enough to serve six or eight people...when I told him eighteen he didn't miss a beat - and even seemed delighted by the challenge :) When we arrived for the party, the entire area around our table for 18 was decorated with balloons and party hats were on each seat. The table was decorated, with "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" spelled out in flowers - it was fabulous! As if that weren't enough, on the night before we departed, the staff put on an all-out feast which was set up around the swimming pool. It was a buffet service of all kinds of delicacies and the setting was truly beautiful and highly romantic. After dinner, the Garifuna dancers came in to entertain us and there was a live band to continue the entertainment for those die-hards who were able to stay awake after 9:30 :rofl3:

To Be Continued :cool2:

Attachments

• Happy 70th Hubby!.jpg
    Happy 70th Hubby!.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 100
  • Happy Birthday to Cajuncru Diver.jpg
    Happy Birthday to Cajuncru Diver.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Table 1.jpg
    Table 1.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Table 2.jpg
    Table 2.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 131
  • Table 3.jpg
    Table 3.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 92
  • The Cajun Crew with Cajuncru Diver at the Head and 'Diva at the Foot.jpg
    The Cajun Crew with Cajuncru Diver at the Head and 'Diva at the Foot.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 114
  • The 'Diva with Dive Staff Members Ricardo and Claire.jpg
    The 'Diva with Dive Staff Members Ricardo and Claire.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 109
  • View From Resort Entrance.jpg
    View From Resort Entrance.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 146
  • View From Dining Room.jpg
    View From Dining Room.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 103
  • View of Beach from Room Balcony.jpg
    View of Beach from Room Balcony.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 117
Continued from Previous Report:

Not only was the resort staff highly competent, the dive staff were also great. Our six family members had started their certification process at our local dive shop and had been all set up to complete their open water referral dives at Fantasy Island. We were really in a panic wondering what was going to happen with that situation, but our concerns turned out to be needless. The instructors at Media Luna (the dive operator there is Aqua Adventures) were very professional and thorough, and they did a great job of getting the certifications complete so we could all dive together as a family. The kids made great strides during their five days of diving...they really learned a lot and we had a ball.

The shore diving at Media Luna is fantastic. There are resident seahorses, spotted drum and lots of other cool things to look at. Unlimited shore diving is part of the dive package, so the opportunities are endless. In addition to the great shore diving, there are three boat dives each day and the options range from east to west and everywhere in between. We visited some of our old favorite southside dive sites like Mary's Place, 40 ft. Point, Missing Link, Anka's Place, Pirate's Point, and Parrot Tree Wall in addition to our old eastern favorite Calvin's Crack and a couple of new eastern sites like Pond View Wall and Church View Wall. I mentioned in a previous post that I was the first one off the boat and did a giant stride and landed almost right on top of a rather large nurse shark! Here is the video that I very hurriedly shot:

Quite honestly, the dive shop is not yet ready to handle large groups of divers on a consistent basis, but they did a marvelous job of improvising and pulling together the tools required to pull off our dive week without a hitch. I can tell you that I discussed plans for the IMMEDIATE future with management and I am VERY impressed with what is in store for Media Luna Resort dive operations. In my (humble :wink:) opinion, this resort is situated in an ideal location with the ideal circumstances to become a really great dive resort on the island of Roatan. Whether the plans are completed as planned remains to be seen, but I have every confidence they'll make it happen.

As always, I'm open to any questions or discussions...shoot :kiss2:

Attachments

• Best T-Shirt Slogan!.jpg
    Best T-Shirt Slogan!.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 163
  • House Reef Seahorse.jpg
    House Reef Seahorse.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 131
  • House Reef Spotted Drum.jpg
    House Reef Spotted Drum.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Large Dive Boat 1.jpg
    Large Dive Boat 1.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Large Dive Boat 2.jpg
    Large Dive Boat 2.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Large Dive Boat 3.jpg
    Large Dive Boat 3.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Small Dive Boat 1.jpg
    Small Dive Boat 1.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Small Dive Boat 2.jpg
    Small Dive Boat 2.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 79
  • Small Dive Boat 3.jpg
    Small Dive Boat 3.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 93
Nice report...good photos!!

the one dive i'm the last off the boat and of course there was a nurse shark!!! ugh!!! hahaha

Hey scuba-daughter...you can now upgrade your dive count - you're way over 24 !

I love this girlie...she is such an amazing person :D From now on she's the "little 'Diva" :rofl3:

Hey scuba-daughter...you can now upgrade your dive count - you're way over 24 !

I love this girlie...she is such an amazing person :D From now on she's the "little 'Diva" :rofl3:

yayyy I sure can now!!!! :) :) :)

miss you guys already. It's weird sitting around by myself haha

Its really good to hear it went so well...

I know when we were at CCV and we passed by MLR heading out for Calvin's Crack... and saw all of the work being done and at the time, we were unsure if it was a hotel, rich man home, or what but you could really see how nice it was looking...! I loved the palm thatch roofs...

lee

Its really good to hear it went so well...

I know when we were at CCV and we passed by MLR heading out for Calvin's Crack... and saw all of the work being done and at the time, we were unsure if it was a hotel, rich man home, or what but you could really see how nice it was looking...! I loved the palm thatch roofs...

lee

Me too Lee! I was always intrigued by what they were doing. And now I can say I've seen it and they did a GREAT job. Everything just FEELS so comfortable. Its as if it all belongs there...

The resort grounds look nice! :coffee: Might be an upscale option for diving the south side now!

Nice trip report! Glad you guys (and gals) had a great time!

Pics, did happen! :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom