should a customer be charged for dropping and subsequently losing a weight belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did it come off?

Was it not put on correctly?

Customer should pay for it in my opinion unless the dive operator charges a lot for the dives and works in to them rental abuse etc.

I have only lost a weight belt once on an entry, it was my own so I had to buy a new one and new weights, that is diving. You are responsible for your own gear / rental gear when using it, you lose it or break it then you pay for it.

That would be my question,Why did it come off.If it was put on properly and came off because it was an older belt with faulty buckle then no,you should not be responsible for replacing it,but at the same time you should have noticed it when you got the equipment.I always do an inspection proir to any dive,rental gear or my own.

Insurance? You kidding? Lets ask what would be the cost for a "no-deductable" policy? I bet the rental including that cost would almost exceed the cost of the equipment....

Man up, it was in their care, and for whatever reason, they failed to take reasonable care. I'd expect to have to pay for it.

Reactions: Jax
Mmmm, no need to be responsible for gear that is not yours? Guess who never gets to borrow any of my stuff.

A new belt probably cost all of $20, why need to insure that? How about you learn how to secure your gear and inspect it before splashing?

And oh...20 pounds in Coz? Really? Are you in a dry suit?

With flying crashing the airplane is one thing. First of all it's expensive and so of course it's insured...you will be sued as well. However try renting an airplane and come back and tell them you lost the airplane. They are not going to say "No problem...we're insured".

You rented equipment. You (I'm guessing) lost it and now you have to pay for it. What if you had lost all of the equipment or just decided to take it home and tell them you lost it?

If insurance is the answer, then the diver should buy some lost rental gear insurance and not worry.

The diver didn't.

BTW, the dive op's insurance company (IF there were such a policy in place), would pay and could then go after the diver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was paying for my ten dives when the dive leader came in and told her about the dropped weights and the DiveOp Owner said she woudn't charge me but Iposted this question right after cos I was conflicted

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some posts have been edited or removed. Please remember the rules of this forum.

I am very suprised by these answers

Wouldn't one assume that in a sport like scuba dive shops would have their gear insured against loss for *whatever reason*??

Would a surfer/waterskier/jetskier/hang glider be charged for loss or damage to equipment and would the operator not be held responsible re insurance in this instance?
Yes, they would. Insurance is not made to cover that.

Seems very odd to hold guest 100% responsible given the precarious nature of diving with all the bits and pieces in open water/currents
If you rent gear, you are responsible for the return in full of it in the same shape you got it.

The weight belt also came off on a dive at depth earlier in the week but the diver caught it and put it back on not knowing why and didn't analyze it as a poterntial future loss on future dive (weak buckle we think)
THe diver is a certified diver. They are responsible for themselves and their gear. They are negligent if they lost it once and didn't sort it out. Doubly their fault. So, you should have sorted out your problem with the weights like a big boy. Don't try to get out of paying for your responsibility. That is not snippy. That is grown up reality.

That would be my question,Why did it come off.If it was put on properly and came off because it was an older belt with faulty buckle then no,you should not be responsible for replacing it,but at the same time you should have noticed it when you got the equipment.I always do an inspection proir to any dive,rental gear or my own.

Even if it was a faulty buckle the diver who lost it should pay to replace it. A diver should inspect the gear he is using before taking it out. A faulty buckle never should have left the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom