Sad Ending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point about the PFDs, had we brought some we would have worn them. Next time we will.
Sometimes you have to make do. At no time were any of us further than 30 ft from the shore. and the line was there for safety as well as to make sure we didnt miss anything.
its a man made lake, it was very shallow and there is no current. The Vis was terrible as usual.
Water was 48 degrees.
He was in an open culvert running under the bridge.
At least the side scan showed us where not to look.

A recovery is NEVER worth the life of a rescuer. A certain amount of risk can be accepted in a rescue situation, but in a recovery PFD's should be the uniform of the day. no exceptions. (Do you not require them when on a boat/for the shore tender? Why were they not on the trailer?). .

Anyway Glad he could be returned to his family, good work!

We dont store any gear in our trailer because we share it with the detectives.
Most of the time I spend on the water is on boats in the ocean.
Different mindset I guess.

In the photo accompanying the article a searcher is wearing an drysuit but no tanks and no PFD, and he's waist deep in the pond. With no apparent source of flotation if he were to step into a hole it seems a bit risky.

Nice job on the recovery. I know from experience how that closure really helps the family

In that type of search situation I would more likely to be wearing a weight belt than a pfd. :no: along with my mask and snorkel. I understand the pfd mentality though...... It just doesn't work for me :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom