Bulletproof reg with a design that's been around forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm interested in a regulator that's basically bulletproof and uses a time tested design that has been around forever.

I know there are the very high end stuff from scubapro, atomic, etc but I'd like to avoid that for now. I prefer something that's a workhorse, economical, bulletproof, and reliable. Plus if it's cheap to rebuild and one that I can buy parts for (eventually).

I only do recreational diving in waters that typically range from 45-55 degrees F. Any regulators fit this description?

Sherwood Blizzard. If you want something newer that won't kill your wallet ask me about a HOG D-1 cold set up.

ScubaPro MK2, OMS Workhorse. Basically any unbalanced piston regulator is going to be about as bulletproof as you can get. Intermediate pressure will drop a bit when the tank pressure gets low, but it shouldn't be that big a deal. The MK2 has two dynamic o-rings and a HP seat that can easily be sourced generically (you don't need the SP kit). I believe the Workhorse is the same.

Scubapro have great kit (MK17/25 & S600/G250V). I also like Apeks but found them costly to service compared to SP.

I'm interested in a regulator that's basically bulletproof and uses a time tested design that has been around forever.I know there are the very high end stuff from scubapro, atomic, etc but I'd like to avoid that for now. I prefer something that's a workhorse, economical, bulletproof, and reliable. Plus if it's cheap to rebuild and one that I can buy parts for (eventually).

I only do recreational diving in waters that typically range from 45-55 degrees F. Any regulators fit this description?

Here you go. Poseidon :: Regulators

Not many can stand shoulder to shoulder with poseiden.

The SP Mk-2 or the USD/AL Conshelf. Both have been around for a long time, solid designs and show no signs of stopping any time soon. Part are available for both and most parts can be had from sources other than OEM.

Most importantly, configuration
first_stage_dst.jpg

which way do you want the hoses to route

ImageGen.aspx

or something ridiculous like this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom