Oneida Lake sunken tugboat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim, sounds like someting to get ASDA involved with...

Hi Orrin, yeah now that they have the side imaging we may try. Plus Dennis from Clayton plans to come down sometime in the near future.

made a heck of an attempt last monday to find cleveland barge and struck out. I think the coords posted on that map might b bad. making another attempt as soon as weather permits.

Did I send you the ones kevin gave me? If not let me know and I will send them to you.

These are some sidescan images of the tug that I got from a friend. These where taken on the coordinates that we have tried diving at. Hopefully we can get back out early this summer before the vis gets really bad.

Attachments

• oneida wreck.jpeg
    oneida wreck.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 261
  • oneida wreck2.jpeg
    oneida wreck2.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 249
  • oneida wreck3.jpeg
    oneida wreck3.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 244
  • oneida wreck4.jpeg
    oneida wreck4.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 209
  • oneida wreck5.jpeg
    oneida wreck5.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 212
Hope this is the year we finally dive the Thomas H

We dove the Thomas H last summer in August. Very dark even with lights but in relatively good shape. I just installed a side scan sonar on my boat and found it the other evening, along with three other wrecks. The Thomas H sank in 1948 in a storm. We also found the probable barge that it was towing, purely by accident. Twice the size of the TH and in excellent condition, not too far from away.

We dove the Thomas H last summer in August. Very dark even with lights but in relatively good shape. I just installed a side scan sonar on my boat and found it the other evening, along with three other wrecks. The Thomas H sank in 1948 in a storm. We also found the probable barge that it was towing, purely by accident. Twice the size of the TH and in excellent condition, not too far away.

I posted the sidescan images above of the tug that I got from my friend. We keep waiting too late in the summer to dive it and it is also really bad vis. If the tornado warnings stop I will put my boat in the water and hopefully get out this week. Where is the barge compared to the tug?

Thanks
Kevin

We dove the barge today that likely went down with the Thomas H. It is pristine >98% intact. We are going to do a formal measure on it on Memorial Day, but estimate it rises 14 feet from the bottom, has eight holds and is approx. 110+ feet long x 25 feet wide. Large burbot . some almost 2 feet long laying all over the wreck. The most aft hold had two 5-6 foot Lake Sturgeon in it. Vis was about 12 feet.
I really would love to see some of these better wrecks buoyed so anchor damage doesn't occur. The bottom is clay silt and will not hold an anchor on a windy day and enough folks are interested in these sites.

Back
Top Bottom