Wetsuit Thickness for Malaysia & SEA ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience is that its definitely related to the season and the number of dives a day, most of the year a 3mm shorty is fine but sometimes more is needed.

I'm a big guy that doesn't wear a wetsuit for much of the year (God gave quite a bit of insulation), but last year during Christmas/New Years I was working as a dive guide doing 3-4 dives/day. When the water dropped to 24 degrees it was cold enough for me to put on a full 3mm. Then it dropped to 22 degrees around New Years and even with a hood I was very uncomfortable.

I spent a couple of months diving in the south of Thailand (Gulf side, east) and all I ever wore was a 3mm shortie. That said, if you decide to go deeper than 30m (obviously only if you are qualified) I recommend full-length and/or bit thicker - there's a few chilly thermoclynes down there but nothing too harsh. Not sure about Malaysia I never went but I'd imagine it's not too disimilar to Thailand in that respect (although I don't know that for a fact).

Hope that helps!
Sym.

It depends on time of the year and location, I suppose.
I've been in 18celsius waters in Nusa Penida, Bali (when I was thanking my 5mm) in July and also in 30celsius in the same place in March.
On my Komodo trip, March 2002, the temp ranged from 29celsius to 22celsius even in sites that are located fairly near each other.
Generally, 3mm long should be more than enough for Indonesian waters, but you may want to add on a vest or shortie on top for night dives or if you're going to areas known for colder waters during the right times of the year.
Personally, I don't mind lower temperatures, but I CANNOT STAND temperature changes. A 1 degree drop, even from 28 to 27 celsius, feels like knives stabbing through my chest. And there are plenty of thermoclines here. So I wear a 5mm, which to some extent buffers a bit more against such changes.

The trouble is not the water temperature, but the difference in water temperature.
Bali the water is not that cold...but if you do multiple dives it could get uncomfortable. And the worse thing is..when you dive deep where there could be thermocline. The difference is just incredible. And that a think suit is ok.

I ussually dived with just a tshirt and shorts...but now i cant do without my fulllength wetsuit. It's 3 mm and during nightdives and thermoclines...I noticed the tem difference.
Anyway i suggest going for 3 mm...you could always where a shorty over it if you need the extra thickness. Go for a fullsuit...more protection. Less chances of scraps etc.

Been diving here a couple of years in a skin and other than Bali have never been cold. I am a large person and creae my own heat but most people are in 3mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom