dive report from Kona, Hawaii. AMAZING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbeast1414

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys so thank you for all the help! I just got back from 5 dives in Kona, Hawaii.

The diving was FANTASTIC. It was like I died and ended up in a watery heaven. The water was so warm! The two tank manta dive was great. We saw mantas on both dives and Grayer, the manta's name, actually touched my head . Also we followed a spotted moray eel that was at least 4 feet long on the hunt. Man they suckkk at hunting!

For the 3 tank advanced we visited the Long Lava tubes, Henry's Cave, and Casa Cave (? I think that was the name). I saw mantas on every dive, dolphins, sea turtles, too many fish to count or even name, eels, bright flatworms, octopus, nudibranch (sp. And on the last dive of the day and the trip, I saw two 5ft+ white tip reef sharks in a cave! This was totally my coolest dive moment ever, spare maybe breathing underwater for the first time. The sharks just circled close by in the cave and came withing a few feet. We left after a few minutes because they seemed to be getting agitated. But totally the coolest thing ever.

The service at Jack's was amazing and I am now friends with a lot of instructors and DM's there. They even offered me a summer job there!

Nice! Sounds like an amazing trip! Kayaking and jumping out of our boats and snorkeling off the Kona coast is what drove my wife and I to start scuba - we just HAD to be down there! We'll be in Maui next week - woot woot!

Hey guys so thank you for all the help! I just got back from 5 dives in Kona, Hawaii.

We're heading there next month and will be in Kona on May 16-21. What are the temps like at depth? Trying to decide how much neoprene we need :)

We're heading there next month and will be in Kona on May 16-21. What are the temps like at depth? Trying to decide how much neoprene we need :)

its like 75. Even after three dives i wasn't that chilly. All I was wearing was a 3 mil bottom of a farmer johns. And I don't have much natural insulation :D

its like 75. Even after three dives i wasn't that chilly. All I was wearing was a 3 mil bottom of a farmer johns. And I don't have much natural insulation :D

Sounds good! I think I'm going to bring my 3mm full. I guess if I get cold I could find a vest to rent somewhere... doesn't seem worth it to buy a new vest if there's a good chance I won't need it :)

Excellent!

Thanks for the report.

I use a 3/2 full all year. I add a vest when needed. Gloves and hood are easy too.

Ignore what other random people wear unless they are of similar body type, gender and cold tolerance to you. A fair number of divers are wearing 5 mil suits right now, others aren't. Call it 77 now,hopefully warmer by then.

How was the viz?

Back
Top Bottom