My Drysuit's melting!!!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Latex is by nature a liquid and will eventually return to that state.

I've dived a Whites suit with latex seals for nine years and have had to replace the seals twice, but I've put maybe five hundred hours on it so that seems fair to me.

Anything you can do to to keep contaminants away from the latex will help. Contaminants include skin oil. Washing thoroughly before divng, use of pure talc USP, and occasional washing and rinsing of the seals with light soap will help prolong their life.

Latex has a limited life.

-Bryan

PS. "insight"

PPS. Accidentally responded before reading the second ten responses so this may be old news . . .

By chance could an air freshener like Lysol or Febreze, odor killer, Bug spray or cleaners made it into the closet? What type of talc was used on the suit?

No, pretty sure that no air fresheners made it in there...too much crap! I'm not sure about the brand of talc. Both of my dive buddies in the area have the same type of talc. Not sure if it's USP or not but it's not baby powder or anything with smell good stuff.

If it is not chemical, then sounds like simple UV and natural break down. Seals will break down over time as has been said.

That is why I love neoprene seals. My father bought his dry suit (Whites) in 1984, he is still diving with the original seals. They have needed a spot of neoprene cement from time to time, but after spending 8 years in use, and about 18 years in our basement it is still going strong.

Yea, two of my buddies have DUI's and I'm pretty sure their seals never melted and have never been changed. I was worried about my wings after I saw this but I checked all of them and they were fine.

We both had seals changed, but neither of ours melted into gummy bears. Steve Gamble replaced all my seals after a wrist seal tore @ JB. Don't remember what happened to our other buddies DUI, but he had Gamble replace seals sometime shortly after mine. I *think* it was in 2006 when we were on our way to DEMA. Of course we've had our suits for almost twice as long as yours IIRC, I think ours were replaced about the time you bought that suit, so it's probably about time. Crap! that means it may be about time for me to replace seal again soon too. :(

I have had outstanding luck with Viking seals. You might consider installing seals from another manufacturer. Not all latex is the same.

I have had outstanding luck with Viking seals. You might consider installing seals from another manufacturer. Not all latex is the same.

Since I will be paying for these seals myself rather than warranty, might use duct tape..... :D

Will look into the different seals.....seems Viking, silicon, and neoprene are the favorites from what I've been hearing.

CD's got the timeline down....bought in 05....seals changed 05/06......last dive with suit...have to think 'bout that one...

If the seals were only 5 years old then they were either very poor quality, or as previous posts have mentioned, exposed to factors that speed up deterioration.
If it wasn't exposed to sun light, then not due to UV.
Most likely due to the fact that it was an airconditioned closet, it is due to ozone. Ozone is basically O3, a much more aggressive form of oxygen which attacks natural rubber (latex) very easily. Electrical fields from motors create ozone, so it is better to store your suit as far as possible away from electrical devices, with natural air flow.
I have used 10 year old Viking suits which still had good seals, so good quality product and good care are the key. Oils from your skin, or sunscreen residue for example are lethal to latex, so wipe your seals with a mild detergent solution like you would use to hand wash dishes.
Talcum powder is good to keep the seals dry and easy to slide-on, but it doesn't in itself remove the causes of deterioration.
Personally I find the ring systems for replaceable neck and wrist seals irritating, so I rather pay for new seals as required (usually I get more than 5 years out of them). It doesn't really cost any more in the end than the expensive zip seals etc. But then again, that is just my personal preference.

I was drysuit diver for years in the PNW. I have and have owned several suits from Harvey, Bare, Northern Diver & Whites.. I used to replace my latex wrist seals about every year. I know that may sound excessive but I was a commercial diver at the time and abused my suits daily. Finally I switched to the heavy duty wrist seals which are pretty thick. That in itself increased the lifetime 300%. They are a little harder to get on and off when wet, but still worth the extra durability. Try them the next time you have to replace your seals.

Back
Top Bottom