Wrapping Umbilicals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like nashua 357, its just a heavy weight duct tape, but a little goo's not gonna hurt you...if you're really working hard you're gonna end up rebuilding them every year anyways, wipe em down then, until that time, cover it up with...more duct tape :) Repeat as necessary. Also, super secret trick that you probably already know to keep the tape from sliding around and leaving the aforementioned snail trails of goo...take a wrap around the strength member and comm wire with your tape before wrapping the rest of the hose. Dive safe!

Electrical for adding a member, say a camera, for a short length on a twisted or straight rig. Or wind it in and marry it. Even for foot denominations we use colored electrical. For a straight rig, duct or gorilla, but usually duct (Telsa I think). But if the job is potable I think theres a whole other set of rules you must abide by.
Also + 1 with DGordon probably best to unwrap them every year to reinspect them , we found one the other week that was almost new and was chaffed to the braiding (divers air) in just one spot.

The Tape used to wrap umbilicals is Polychem. That is the US Navy Standard. It is the only tape accepted by the Navy. My company made most of the Umbilicals for the Navy since the 50's. Hope this helps.

Also, super secret trick that you probably already know to keep the tape from sliding around and leaving the aforementioned snail trails of goo...take a wrap around the strength member and comm wire with your tape before wrapping the rest of the hose. Dive safe!

Thats always the best way to prevent the tape moving around. I also saw some new silicone wrap being used, that has no adhesive at all. But it was criminally expensive, so I didn't bother buying any. I will see if I can find a link.

---------- Post Merged at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:58 PM ----------

I think this is the stuff ...

http://www.rescuetapeaustralia.com.au

The Tape used to wrap umbilicals is Polychem. That is the US Navy Standard. It is the only tape accepted by the Navy. My company made most of the Umbilicals for the Navy since the 50's. Hope this helps.

I never heard of purchased assembled umbilicals when I was in the Navy (early 1970s)??? I also never saw one with duct tape. Every diver I ever knew spent lots of time on umbilical parties marrying components together. Commercial divers used a lot of Polychem duct tape for umbilicals in the US and the Navy does use it now. However, it does share the problems described in other posts; it just sucks less than most tapes that are even worse.

Polyken 223 Duct Tape comes in a variety of colors. The best thing about it is the tape ends don't turn-up/roll like some other tapes have a tendency to do after prolonged use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom