Offset Holes on Spools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSchoular

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this should be here or under accesories, but,

Does anyone know why the holes on some finger spools are offset? Are there advantages/disadvantages to one or the other? If you don't know what im talking about here are a few pics.

Offest: Spools
(scroll down, bottom of page)

Centered: Google Image Result for http://scubawell.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/photo-3-2.jpg
(i know its a bad picture, but you can tell holes line up)

Im sure its not a big deal, just kinda curious...Thanks!

I always try to clip my spool tightly when I put it in a pocket before a dive. If I don't, it has a tendency to come unspooled and be generally unpleasant. If you're trying to get it really snug and you have non-offset holes, you have fewer distances to choose from and getting the spool line clipped very tightly will be slightly more difficult.

I imagine offset ones are harder to make (double the drilling rather than just going straight through). That said, cave line is stretchy and I've had no trouble with my non-offset spool. It's pretty easy just to stretch it a little more to clip off.

I've also found you get more room to clip/less likelihood of a spaghetti pocket if you cut a couple feet off of the line. Granted, the obvious disadvantage there is that you loose some distance, but if you're deploying a 100' spool from anything near 90' anywhere but a pool, it's not going to reach the surface - current drags it off to the side. I deployed my 90' spool from about 80' a few weeks ago in a class and it did not reach the surface, that was fun. 150' (140') is much nicer, in my opinion, for deeper deployments like that.

Got kinda off topic. I like to offset spools. I've never seen one, but then again, I've never looked. I don't see a downside.

Interesting... I've never seen an offset spool before; all of mine (Halcyon, Piranha) are centered

I can see the potential advantage of being able to clip off to a finer line length, but can't say I've ever been troubled by the lack of it

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom