Who carries a Safety Tube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always carry a 2M orange / yellow safety sausage, generally only use it for my safety stop on boat dives.

Will be carrying a larger version with me this weekend when we go diving off Musandam (North Oman) as I had a long wait for a pick up once up there.

I carry the DAN SMB on those dives where the chance of ending up a long way from shore is a possibility. Since most of my dives are shore or from a boat near shore, I don't normally snap it on. However, just a few weeks ago, I was diving Ship Rock, Catalina with two new divers. To spare you all the long story, we three ended up a long way from the boat and out where boats could be a problem. So, happy that I had the SMB with me, I inflated it and waited with my two buddies. The boat crew spotted us, sent a small tender out and towed us back.

So yes, I carry one.

I carry one when leading groups on drift dives from the charter boat I work for.

I know of no charter dive boat in the State of Hawaii that requires divers to have an SMB in order to make any dive. The web sites for the charter op's that dive Ni'ihau does not even indicate that they will supply divers with SMB's, and that is the most likely dive trip in the State for such a requirement.

When the dive requires it, Hawaii charter boats make sure the guide carries one. The drift dive plan is to stay with your guide. :D

In what situation would I need one? It was never discussed much as a required piece of equipment.

Hi hgduong,

You are correct it is not a required piece of equipment and probably not talked about much, however for many of the reasons previously listed, every diver should carry one.

I believe a better question is, Why would I want to dive without one?

Do some adventure dives like deep and drift, you get some additional instruction to the use of a Safety Sausage/SMB.

Be a safe diver, and you will live to dive longer.

Brian

halemanō;5840069:
...I know of no charter dive boat in the State of Hawaii that requires divers to have an SMB in order to make any dive. The web sites for the charter op's that dive Ni'ihau does not even indicate that they will supply divers with SMB's, and that is the most likely dive trip in the State for such a requirement..
Having made that dive, I can tell you first hand that SeaSports does require all divers to use one. If you did not bring your own, they had a box full you could pick from, but you were not going in without one clipped on.

What is a "safety tube?"

In my corner of the world I've heard that phrase referenced as a euphemism for something purchased discreetly at a pharmacy...

Hi,
I carry mine all of the time. Its better to have than not need. Than need than not have. My last dive a few days ago. We were diving and nxt thing we know it. There was a Jet ski above us. One of my dive buddy's started to deploy his and found out he left the line at home. So, we used mine.
just my .02 cents.
Kurt in Cebu

Randy43068:
Too bad you can't figure things out on your own.

It could have been something new, then I would have been sitting with an invalid assumption. It's prudent to ask when you don't know.

Maybe it is something new....

From the links provided by halemanō:

Safety Tube
Part #20-07100

UOM: EA
In the event of an emergency, prepare yourself and your employees for evacuation and rescue with the grab-and-go Safety Tube from the American Red Cross. Ideal for commuters, the workplace, and schools, this handy tube fits easily into bags, glove compartments, or desk drawers and includes preparedness tips and a place to record your emergency contact information.
Contents include:

•1 Whistle
•1 12-Hour light stick, 6”
•1 Drinking water pouch, 4.2 oz
•1 Procedural mask
•1 Emergency blanket
•1 Plastic Tube, 7.5" h x 2.75" w

Safety tube - a tube to prevent explosion, or to control delivery of gases by an automatic valvular connection with the outer air; especially, a bent funnel tube with bulbs for adding those reagents which produce unpleasant fumes or violent effervescence.

Safety Tube Kit, Basic, Case of 30
SKU: K2058-CERT
Weight: 15 lbs.

Our handy CERT Grab & Goª Safety Tube Kit comes in a in water-resistant, floatable clear plastic tube. The basic tube kit includes bandages for first aid, a dust mask for easier breathing in smoke or dusty conditions, a chemical light stick in case the lights go out and a whistle for emergency signalling.

Personal size tube measures 6.5'' L x 2.25'' Diameter, fits easily into backpack, pouch, glove box, briefcase or purse.

Basic Kit Contains:

Adhesive bandages
Light stick
Dust mask
Whistle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom