Where to go with mixed-experience budget divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a night of beers and dive talk, we've narrowed things down to either PG/Sabang (and possible side trips to Anilao or Subic) or taking a quick flight to Cebu and hitting up Moalboal and Malapascua. Kinda leaning towards M&M, if only because more than one person has characterized PG as seedy or sleazy. So, totally disregarding the dive side of things for a bit, how would you describe those towns? What makes each unique and awesome? Are they full of mostly divers, tourists, Aussies on gap year, mostly Filipino? PG is clearly the bigger, but just how small are M&M? Will you run into the same dozen divers for a week, or meet new people everywhere you turn?

PG can be as seedy or as calm as you want it. Yes there is a flesh market... :shocked2::wink: But it is pretty contained to a certain area. It's divided into 3 consecutive beaches: Sabang, the biggest, is where the seedy parts are. Small La Laguna and Big la Laguna (5 or 10 minute walk from Sabang) are very calm. By choosing where you are staying/ dive/ hang out, you decide on what the atmosphere is... :coffee:

After a night of beers and dive talk, we've narrowed things down to either PG/Sabang (and possible side trips to Anilao or Subic) or taking a quick flight to Cebu and hitting up Moalboal and Malapascua. Kinda leaning towards M&M, if only because more than one person has characterized PG as seedy or sleazy. So, totally disregarding the dive side of things for a bit, how would you describe those towns? What makes each unique and awesome? Are they full of mostly divers, tourists, Aussies on gap year, mostly Filipino? PG is clearly the bigger, but just how small are M&M? Will you run into the same dozen divers for a week, or meet new people everywhere you turn?

Is Sabang seedy? Does it matter if your intention is on DIVING and BEERS only. You can walkin to a girlie bar and just say NO to anything other than ordering your OWN beer. And if you are staying at Small La Laguna or Big La Laguna and away from the three Korean Resorts, I bet you wont' know that there are bar girls around!!!!
Keep an open mind and see for yourself.
Moalboal and Malapascua are very good for diving and so is PG.

CODMAN and Centrals are absolutely right - PG is as seedy as you want it to be, and so would anywhere else be really!

A few of us were in PG last May and I stayed in Small La Laguna, the small stretch in between Sabang and Big La Laguna. It was peaceful and quiet at night, no thumping music etc. All the dive sites were pretty much 5-10 mins away, and we even did several shore entry dives which imo was pretty cool since I don't get them too often. There's a very good variety of diving there - wrecks, wall, macro, drift.. and the night dives were great too!

It was an easy 10 minute stroll down to Sabang and we were never uncomfortable having dinner and/or drinks there some of the nights. We hung out mainly along the main stretch and most of most of the girly bars and discos were located in the street/alley behind and they weren't overly aggressive or in your face. :cool3:

We also hired a banca ride to white beach which is the more lively area with plenty of bars/ restaurants - this area is always populated and has a very good, fun vibe to it. There are plenty of accommodation choices here as well but just take note it isn't as close (as Big/Small LL, Sabang is) to most of the main dive sites.

There's even a proper shooting range in PG if you want to do something different! We never made it there.. after 3 full days of diving :D

I would definitely go back to PG again, everything was so relaxed and easy. But this year May I am going to Malapascua!!! Matt from Evolution has been so lovely and patient, answering my 1001 questions (sry Matt!) and helping me sort out our accomo and diving arrangements!

PG and Malapascua both have a good variety of dive sites and have a chilled/laidback vibe as well, so I'm sure you'll have a blast whichever place you end up choosing - Me, I'm just counting down to end of May, who knows maybe we might see each other in Malapascua! :snorkel2:

Well Tailwinds I was waiting for you to decide on an area before I posted.
If you are going to stay in PG area, I would say either small La Laguna or Big La Laguna.
It is much quieter with a few bars and places to eat, yet only a 10 minute walk around the point to Sabang. I like the full moon bar as it is right on the beach, very pleasant, with a happy hour from 5-10pm. there are quite a few inexpensive places to stay, depending on your budget from $15 night and up. I like the banana moon, but it is a bit more at $38 night.
There are several dive shops to choose from. I like Mark at searider. Small shop, speed boat, rinse tanks, showers, drying racks, they will take care of your gear, rentals are good, and the price is very inexpensive. Heck, he will even find a place for you, just give him your requirements; example for me, under $40 night, AC, cable, kitchen, large balcony, 180 degree killer ocean view, safe and clean. He found it no problem.
Good luck on your trip, you are sure to have fun.
Now, you just have t get from the airport to PG, another story later on that.

thanks Eric, yes he does get mentioned a lot which is great news, he did his IDC at Atlantis while I was there so it's good to see him going on to be a success.

Once in the PI, Mark has a cell phone and he is quick to respond by text. whenever we go over from Batangas we text and he will have his speedboat pick us all up at the ferry dock and again drop us off when it is time to leave. Again there are many dive shops in PG area. I like Searider for a few reasons, smaller shop offering more personal service. dive at your schedule. surface Intervals back at the shop with free coffee/tea/water. I always walk back to the resort during SI.
Smaller loads, we went out with 4 divers max. Mark is very good at showing you critters, and you can do your own thing if you want. Dive briefings and plan are explained in detail and they are very safety minded. Plus Mark is one of the few Filipino owned and operated dive shops in PG.
It really does depend on what you like. Take Atlantis or el Galleon for example. Excellent 5 star dive resort/shops. But very crowded, busy, and just to expensive for my taste. although I do walk down to the point bar for happy hour or enjoy the el Galleon thursday night bbq chicken dinner buffet.
One thing you absolutely must do is dive Verde Island. Mark can arrange it for you. We went with just 2 divers and a DM, we were the only boat there that day, fantastic area. More on this later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom