A little travel advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow -- Nanaimo, Tofino, Campbell River, Port Hardy . . . that's a litany of first-class Vancouver Island dive places!

In addition to whatever feedback you get here, you might consider PMing NW Grateful Diver, who has been all of those places, to see what he would recommend. (My BC experiences are woefully limited!)

It would be great if we can meet with you there.

We are taking the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo on August 23th (earlier if necessary) and back from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen on August 30th.

So far, the route is Nanaimo, Parksville, MacMillan Prov Park, Tofino, Sproat Lake Prov Park, Campbell River, possibly Port Hardy, Victoria. We will drive a truck with a 5th-wheel RV, which we could leave behind at a nice spot with the non-divers if necessary.

I suspect that your list is a bit wishful for a one week stay!:D
It is a LONG way from Port Hardy to Victoria... and it is a long way from the east side of the island to the west and up to Tofino... I think that you need a longer trip or a shorter list!:idk:

We are heading up there June 1st - 15th. We plan to be in the PS/Seattle area by June 1st, then on to Victoria. We will likely do a couple breakwater dives in Victoria and Race Rocks, weather permitting. From there, likely to Tofino for awhile.

I live in Port Alberni which is right in your planned travel path (10min drive from Sproat Lake Prov Park). Some of the best shore diving on our island is in the Nanoose area which is is a 45min drive from the campsite. I'd be happy to show you around if you do end up in the area. Some of the major VI attractions are common occurance on these dives - wolf eels, giant pacific octopus, dogfish, sea lions, etc. This isn't the best of the best diving though.

I have to agree that your travel plans are a little ambitious for a week. Trying to hit all the attractions on all four compass points isn't realistic. Of all the places you list, Port Hardy is the best, but will consume much of your week. Tofino/long beach is a must see from a non-diving standpoint. Nanaimo has great wreck diving. Campbell River has great drift/wall diving. Victoria has reasonably good diving and places like Race Rocks are well worth a charter. If this is your first trip, and your camping, I'd personally stick to your plan (minus Port Hardy - which is a whole trip unto itself). Between Nanaimo and Campbell River you get the best of both wreck and natural sites. Tofino is just great camping.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I've done 95% of my diving on VI and have literally dived all around the island.

I live in Port Alberni which is right in your planned travel path (10min drive from Sproat Lake Prov Park). Some of the best shore diving on our island is in the Nanoose area which is is a 45min drive from the campsite. I'd be happy to show you around if you do end up in the area. Some of the major VI attractions are common occurance on these dives - wolf eels, giant pacific octopus, dogfish, sea lions, etc. This isn't the best of the best diving though.

I have to agree that your travel plans are a little ambitious for a week. Trying to hit all the attractions on all four compass points isn't realistic. Of all the places you list, Port Hardy is the best, but will consume much of your week. Tofino/long beach is a must see from a non-diving standpoint. Nanaimo has great wreck diving. Campbell River has great drift/wall diving. Victoria has reasonably good diving and places like Race Rocks are well worth a charter. If this is your first trip, and your camping, I'd personally stick to your plan (minus Port Hardy - which is a whole trip unto itself). Between Nanaimo and Campbell River you get the best of both wreck and natural sites. Tofino is just great camping.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I've done 95% of my diving on VI and have literally dived all around the island.

Thanks Chris,

According to your and Divedoggie's assessment it looks like a choice between the Port Hardy and Tofino area. Nanaimo and Victoria are fixed because of the ferries.

OTOH, we will have about 2500 km (~1500 mi) on the wheels before we even get to VI. We are 3 drivers and I am known to drive 6 hours for a dive with friends at Dutch Springs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom