Itinerary Help - 2 or 3 weeks in Philippines - Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKay

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for advice on where to go and how long to stay in the Philippines. After scanning through many of the postings on this board, and consulting the handy dandy guidebooks and dive books, I have a general idea of where I'd like to go. But would appreciate advice from those in the know and who have been already!

When: flying tomorrow from Singapore to Manila. Need to return to Singapore. Last minute trip - need a mental break from some personal issues.

How long: 2 or 3 weeks? What do you think? I still need to book my return flight (I know it's required to get a visa)

Where: My thoughts so far...tell me what you think!

- Topside hiking in the rice terraces on Manila

- Analoa / PG (4 days?)

- Alona / Moalboal (4 days?)

- Donsol (to snorkel with the whale sharks...)

- Malapascaw (thrasher sharks)

- Liveaboard on Tubbataha maybe....but I'm not sure I'm in the right frame of mind yet to be constricted to a boat for a week.

- Puerto Princessa?

My profile: mid 30's female - traveling solo. Looking for some R&R, diving, and enjoy hiking/topside outdoors. Not into partying and late nights, but enjoy a couple beers after diving and good conversation. Rescue Diver, 200ish dives logged. Yet to see one of the big 3 (whale shark, manta ray or hammerhead :-(), so would love to on this trip! UW photography with a small Panasonic Lumix (no strobes, no DSLR). Have own equipment & computer. Do not enjoy cave diving or penetrating ship wrecks (love the critter life outside wrecks - but do not do well in confined spaces)

My Dive History so you can get an idea of what I've done/enjoyed:
Caribbean
Egypt - Red Sea/Dahab (didn't like - too little marine life)
Thailand (Koh Tao - didn't like, too crowded)
Malaysia (Perhentian Islands - simple but fun diving, Tioman Island - bad viz, Sipadan (loved it!!!)
Indonesia Sumatra - Pulau Weh (spent 3 weeks there for R&R, cheap good diving and chill atmosphere so could practice UW photography techniques)
Indonesia Sulawesi - 10 days each in Bunaken and Lembeh Straights (loved the critters - great macro ops)

Thanks so much for your help

. How long: 2 or 3 weeks? What do you think? I still need to book my return flight (I know it's required to get a visa)

Where: My thoughts so far...tell me what you think!

- Topside hiking in the rice terraces on Manila

- Analoa / PG (4 days?)

- Alona / Moalboal (4 days?)

- Donsol (to snorkel with the whale sharks...)

- Malapascaw (thrasher sharks)

- Liveaboard on Tubbataha maybe....but I'm not sure I'm in the right frame of mind yet to be constricted to a boat for a week.

- Puerto Princessa?

Do not try to see all Philippines in one 2-3 weeks trip. In this case you will have just flights, airports and roads....
If you want diving and relaxing just choose 2 places for 2 weeks (+ 1 day/2 nights trip to Donsol) or 3 places in case of 3 weeks...
For you first time to Phillipines I can advise for excample:
arrival to Manila
next day early morning flight to Legaspi, snorkeling with whale sharks, next day early morning flight back to manila and connecting flight to Tagbilaran
6 days Alona (Panglao)
flight to Manila , transfer to Anilao
5 days at Anilao, transfer to PG
4-5 days at PG

I just spent 2 weeks in the Philippines.. your itinerary is a bit ambitious. It's a really big country and takes a long time to get from place to place. Alona, Donsol, Malapascua and Puerto Princesa (on Palawan) is really impossible in 2 weeks. I did Manila, Puerto Galera, Boracay, Cebu, Dumaguete (for Apo Island) and a day in Tagbilaran (Bohol). I dove in Puerto Galera and Apo. The diving in PG was quite average, Apo was really great.

Stay as long as you like. I'm here again for 2 month stay.

Water unusually cold now, 76 degrees. Ought to be 80+. 3mm doesn't cut it. Everyone here caught off-guard by unexpected temp, and everyone feels cold in the water.

Visa not necessary for US, up to 21 days.
(a) Tourists wishing to stay longer than 21 days may either obtain a visa in advance, or apply for an extension once in the Philippines at any Bureau of Immigration (The Bureau of Immigration, Philippines Official Website - MAIN). The standard is an extension to 59 days, although longer extensions are available. (b) Nationals not referred to in the chart above are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements (see Important Addresses).

Read more: Passport And Visa Information in Philippines

If you submit request to consulate for one, proof of return ticket needed. No checked otherwise. Most airlines will alter return date without penalty.

Manila has rice terraces?

Travel time cuts into dive time. Many people make mistake of trying to visit too many places in too short a time.

Anilao or PG. First is laid back. Second much more activity, day and night. To be, a bit crowded. Anilao diving better, but water temp seems to have adversely affected at the moment. Nothing like same time last year.

Alone Beach nice, and some good diving there and about.

No experience with rest, but Tubbataha seems to disappoint many. Apo Island is good. Short crossing from Dumaguette. Also ferry runs from there to Bohol, and easy to get cab to Alona Beach.

OK, if you want to relax and change mindsets, Do not do more than 2 destinations! Pick 2 (maximum3), and spend time there relaxing. if you really want to see the big fish you listed, do Donsol for 2 days (whale sharks), then head to Malapascua (best bet for mantas and Thresher sharks). maybe cram in Moalboal (not too far from malapascua) if you have a long stay (like 3 weeks).

That's what i'd do...:coffee:

This is great -- thanks for the feedback! Any tips on accomodations too? Budget traveler (prefer $20-$50 USD per night lodging if possible) -- but safety and hygiene are worth the splurge.

Sorry to not be clearer -- I wasn't planning on visiting ALL of the places that I listed - it was more of a brainstorming list (to be vetted by you knowledgable folks :))

Anilao sounded nice, but the pics I've seen show an underwater life very similar to what I've already experienced in Bunaken and Lembeh (frogfish of all types, hairy octopus, etc... cools critters, but already been there, done that).

Apo Island sounds interesting too.

Donsol -- is it interesting enough to stay longer than 2 days (say 4 or so?)? It seems like quite an effort (and cost) to fly in and out for only a night.

I'm in no rush -- can do 3 weeks if needed (max visa limit - not going to bother extending)

Donsol is exclusively for the Whale sharks (although there probably is a buit of touristy stuff to do also). It's probably the best place in the world to see them if you are in season (sorry, don,t remember when that is). That's it. You want whalesharks? Go... You don't? STay away... How many days? Well how many days of snorkelling with them is it going to take for you to get bored of Whalesharks? That,s how many days you should stay... :D

For Malapascua, contact Matt Reed on this board (Evolution divers). He's been here a long time helping people out and his outfitt seems very well operated. He can surely help you out with lodging within your price range.
:coffee:

Yay...this is fantastic. Thanks for the tips. You've sold me on Donsol and Malapascua, and possibly Apo.

My flight gets in pretty late (9:30pm) to Manila, so I'll have to stay a night. Any recommendations for accommodations? Does Manila live up to it's bad reputation (esp for a single female traveler) or is it fine?

Also -- how is the wifi in these places (Donsol, Malapascua, and Apo)? I'm taking a couple online classes and need to submit homework periodically (multitasking on holiday :)).

Thanks again.

Cheers.

I stayed at Lotus gardens in manila and it was good for the price (50-60$ in 2008). Clean and safe. Especially if you,re arriving late, you just want to crash somewhere...
Lotus Garden Hotel Manila | A Budget Hotel in Manila Philippines

Manila safe? Welll... :crafty: I guess that depends on what are your standards... It is Manila after all.. And basic precautions need to be taken. Plus certain neighbourhoods would be wise to avoid if alone... But if you are carefull, and a bit travel savy, it is ok in my oppinion. At least for me... :coffee:

Yay...this is fantastic. Thanks for the tips. You've sold me on Donsol and Malapascua, and possibly Apo.

My flight gets in pretty late (9:30pm) to Manila, so I'll have to stay a night. Any recommendations for accommodations? Does Manila live up to it's bad reputation (esp for a single female traveler) or is it fine?

Also -- how is the wifi in these places (Donsol, Malapascua, and Apo)? I'm taking a couple online classes and need to submit homework periodically (multitasking on holiday :)).

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom