Snowbird Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We have "wintered" on the FL panhandle and now at Myrtle Beach, SC. Man it's hard to get a dive boat to go out, except for maybe the very end of March. You'd think that there is at least SOME percentage of geezers like me who would wander into a shop and put their names down for a charter in Jan./Feb. Many would probably have at least a 7 mil wetsuit, so water temps. would not be a factor for them. It's understandable that the locals have thinner wetsuits as they can use them comfortably 9-10 months of the year down here, so they just don't dive in "winter". Have any of you other folks run into this problem?

I've been taking a week or so in the Lauderdale area for a few years in february. Rarely does a boat fill a charter there that time of year. I put my name in a week or so before I go to a few different shops, Pompano, Lauderdale, Boynton Beach, etc. Great operators. That way I usually get 3-4 two tank trips for a week stay. Add a Blue Heron bridge trip in, and I'm wrinkled for the week:D

I've been taking a week or so in the Lauderdale area for a few years in february. Rarely does a boat fill a charter there that time of year. I put my name in a week or so before I go to a few different shops, Pompano, Lauderdale, Boynton Beach, etc. Great operators. That way I usually get 3-4 two tank trips for a week stay. Add a Blue Heron bridge trip in, and I'm wrinkled for the week:D

I'm really surprised the boats don't fill in Feb. way down there. Not enough tourists in general, I guess. Is it possible even way down there that "winter" is too cold for those locals? At least you have a number of shops you can give your name too. That's a great idea. It doesn't work for me wintering further North--not enough shops. But we hope to do a more southern location next winter and I'll keep your idea in mind. We usually go for 2-3 months.

The wind is a big deal-breaker there; often NE winds will blow out boats getting in/out of harbors.

The reefs are really close to shore Jupiter and south, so that determines where I stay. I have done some nice shore dives right off the condo or hotel beaches. Ned DeLoachs (sp) guide to florida diving is priceless, as is meeting some fun local people to dive with down there.

Warm water to locals is above 75, us tourists take our diving more seriously than that:D

I'm really surprised the boats don't fill in Feb. way down there. Not enough tourists in general, I guess. Is it possible even way down there that "winter" is too cold for those locals?

Many locals take a break in the winter due to cooler water and air temps.
There is a pretty even mix of out of staters and local divers on these
charter boats. In January and February you will see more out of state divers
and in the summer months the locals would likely be the majority. By late March,
early April most of the locals are ready to dive, dive, dive !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom