Swimming Skills Assessment

How strong a swimmer are you?

• Strong Swimmer: Competitive high school, college, or masters swimmer, lifeguard, or WSI

Votes: 88 21.0%
  • Fitness Swimmer: Not perfect, but routinely swim for fitness or compete in triathlons

Votes: 101 24.1%
  • Average Swimmer: Learned as a child, but only swim occasionally

Votes: 207 49.4%
  • Weak Swimmer: Not confident in swimming ability especially far from shore or in the ocean

Votes: 23 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Falling off a boat can happen, given the right set of rare circumstances. Too much to drink, slip, rogue wave, etc. A little away from the topic, but I always wonder why anyone who couldn't actually swim even a little would even want to be on a boat, pier, jetty fishing, etc. If I couldn't swim I think I would be terrified of the ocean, even a lake. I just assume anyone interested in diving already knows how to swim. Measuring how good they are at it because it is a vital part of diving doesn't make a lot of sense.

I guess I see it as a safety issue more than a skills issue too...

:sharkattack: (in signature)

Lulubelle, I think the emoticon smiley in your signature wraps up the argument. Swimming doesn't have to be pretty, just strong enough to allow you to escape danger and stay ahead of a shark ... or the weakest swimmer.

Lulubelle, I think the emoticon smiley in your signature wraps up the argument. Swimming doesn't have to be pretty, just strong enough to allow you to escape danger and stay ahead of a shark ... or the weakest swimmer.

I was instructed that was what the dive knife is for. :D

I just assume anyone interested in diving already knows how to swim.
Seems like a perfectly reasonable assumption, but I've twice had an Open Water student who was a non-swimmer. One took swimming lessons at the "Y" and I taught the other. Both comfortably passed the swim test and completed certification, although we had to delay the open water dives a month for one.

I'm not a great swimmer either, I much prefer cycling, especially time trialing for CV fitness, but when I am in the ocean, I've always got mask, fins and snorkle on, and wearing them I can go as far as is required with ease.

Till your mask strap or fin strap breaks ... then what will you do?

Seems harsh :shocked2: What kind of equipment failure would send me to my doom?

I suppose I could get a hole in my BC.....and possibly I could lose my fins and my dSMB.....and a herd of hungry Angelfish could rip off my wetsuit....

But all at the same time? :idk:

pj, you left out a key piece of my quote which was the part where I said that I would not dive with someone who described themselves as a poor swimmer here at home. Come to NC and dive with me on a particularly snarky day with 4-6 foot waves and loads of current and you will understand what I mean. I like to know that I, and my buddy, are capable of powering through whatever conditions they are confronted with and despite whatever equipment failures they may have. It's my perogative to dive with people I trust in the water. People die here every year.

Nope, it does not need to be pretty, but good luck trying to outrun a shark. Someone had Mako on the menu today at lunch. Ewww.

pj, you left out a key piece of my quote which was the part where I said that I would not dive with someone who described themselves as a poor swimmer here at home. Come to NC and dive with me on a particularly snarky day with 4-6 foot waves and loads of current and you will understand what I mean. I like to know that I, and my buddy, are capable of powering through whatever conditions they are confronted with and despite whatever equipment failures they may have. It's my perogative to dive with people I trust in the water. People die here every year.

Of course, being from landlocked Canada I've never actually seen big waves before. :shakehead:

But it's absolutely your perogative to dive with people you trust in the water...no argument there.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several posts that don't follow the special rules for this forum, as well as those quoting/referencing/responding to those posts have been removed.

As a reminder:
Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

Continued participation in this thread will be dependent on your ability to follow these rules.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom