Curious, who has pet fish?

Do you have a fish tank?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahhh, what makes a "real" pet?

I've trained my seahorses to eat from a bowl. They will swim over and hitch (wrap their tail around my finger), my shrimp will climb onto my hands and my male clownfish will bite me. I spend lots of money on them, lots of time with them, and they are usually fed better than my husband.

Sounds like 'real' pets to me.

I guess if you were able to train your seahorse, it could be considered a pet.... otherwise an aquarium is decoration I would say... or food in a box :D

My preferred "tank" are the tropical reefs of the Indo-Pacific/Micronesia Region, a fantastic 3D real life scale earth aquarium in all its natural glory. . .

(I have a pet Russian Tortoise named Gorby who hates taking baths, and probably thinks his Sea Turtle marine cousins are crazy. . .:wink: )

I do spend a good amount cleaning and caring for my fish. I feel that since I purchased them, I have the responsibility to care for them the best way I can. I must admit I do find it relaxing though. It's a hobby but one I find challenging. I want to give them at least as good a home if not better than what they had.

I have a few fish that I got when I first set up my tanks. I am careful about what and where I buy and feed them well and keep their homes clean.

Having had a saltwater tank for many years, another thing to watch out for is what you use "in" the house. I once refinished a vanity in a bathroom on the opposite end of the house. The fumes from the stripper I used killed every think I had in the tank. No oven cleaner or other cleaners with toxic fumes will make you happy. You probably already know that but I felt it important to mention that.

I have the aiptasia eating filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) and pajama cardinalfish (Sphaeramia nematoptera).

I buy live mysid and stock the tank with them now and then to help keep the population up. I also keep lots of macroalgae in the tank so there are plenty of hiding spaces. I forgot that I have Randall Gobies in there too. They've been with me for a while and are as big as my first finger.

Keep an eye on the Pyjama. I have a Banggai (4 years in the tank now) which i thought was very peaceful until i introduced some Angels.

Gobies are very cool. I've had pistol shrimp hitch-hike on the live rock but my gobies were the Rainford's (Amblygobius rainfordi) & the twin-spot (Signigobius biocellatus) both of which dont pair up.

Had one (salt water) when I was a kid. Fish died. Then put snails in there. Not much fun. With every reference to "Free Willy" I think of those two dead clownfish.

Too much time and money keeping up & maintaining "life support" especially for a large saltwater tropical fish/coral collection. Better off spending on your own scuba life support equipment and visit these wonderful marine animals in their natural environment. . . JMHO.

Before and after every overseas trip, I always visit the local pet Fish store (manager & employees recognizing me and asking, "Okay where in the world did you dive this time?")

The marine aquarium trade has come a long way, albeit it still has room to still grow. Many people and companies are working toward sustainable collection, aquaculturing, and farming of fish and corals. As someone pointed out already, many aquarium inhabitants are now being aquacultured and maricultured. I do my best to know where my inhabitants come from prior to purchases. Many of my fish have been bred and raised only in aquaria, including my seahorses, clownfish, cardinals, and most of my corals.

Kev, it's nice to be able to take trips and visit the fish in their own underwater habitats but some of us have responsibilities that keep us from jetting off as much as we used to or like to. Is SCUBA diving your only hobby?

Speaking of sustainability; how many people that buy, cook, or eat food-fish make sure that their purchases are sustainable. I rarely eat fish myself, but my family does and before ordering they check out Seafood Watch to see what the best choice may be for longterm global health. If you haven't heard of Seafood Watch, I'd encourage you to check it out. (And yes, there's an app) :D

Keep an eye on the Pyjama. I have a Banggai (4 years in the tank now) which i thought was very peaceful until i introduced some Angels.

Gobies are very cool. I've had pistol shrimp hitch-hike on the live rock but my gobies were the Rainford's (Amblygobius rainfordi) & the twin-spot (Signigobius biocellatus) both of which dont pair up.

Interesting about your Banggai, I'll keep an eye on my pyjamas. I misspoke, the gobies in the seahorse tank are Rainford's. I have a yellow watchman that's paired up with a pistol shrimp in my reef tank; they are cool to watch interact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom