Curious, who has pet fish?

Do you have a fish tank?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several tanks myself, all saltwater.

60g sps dominated reef
55g seahorse with soft corals, sponges, and seahorse-friendly fish
25g lps dominated reef with a frogfish
6g scorpion leaffish tank

The tanks separate or share a sump?
What seahorse friendly fish - gobies? mandarin?

I've tried to pet them, but they dart away...little buggers! :D

Anyway...I wanted an aquarium years back..the Mrs. had one when she was growing up, and said it was a PiTA to take care of, and that I'd kill everything within a month :)depressed:) Then we got cats, and figured it wasn't a good idea!:idk:

I've tried to pet them, but they dart away...little buggers! :D

Anyway...I wanted an aquarium years back..the Mrs. had one when she was growing up, and said it was a PiTA to take care of, and that I'd kill everything within a month :)depressed:) Then we got cats, and figured it wasn't a good idea!:idk:

I agree, getting 2 cats is never a good idea.:rofl3::rofl3:

The tanks separate or share a sump?
What seahorse friendly fish - gobies? mandarin?

All separate systems with their own sumps. I have a lot of windows in my home and not a lot of wall space so I go with smaller tanks. Besides not all my fish would get along.

The fish I have in with my seahorses are filefish, cardinals, firefish, and gobies. I wouldn't recommend a mandarin in the seahorse tank (though I have one in my reef tank) because it will compete with the seahorses for pods to eat.

Attachments

• kade and jez.jpg
    kade and jez.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 24
  • kade and lola.jpg
    kade and lola.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 27
I have real pets... ie. not fish

Ahhh, what makes a "real" pet?

I've trained my seahorses to eat from a bowl. They will swim over and hitch (wrap their tail around my finger), my shrimp will climb onto my hands and my male clownfish will bite me. I spend lots of money on them, lots of time with them, and they are usually fed better than my husband.

Sounds like 'real' pets to me.

Attachments

• elizabeth.jpg
    elizabeth.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 33
I do spend a good amount cleaning and caring for my fish. I feel that since I purchased them, I have the responsibility to care for them the best way I can. I must admit I do find it relaxing though. It's a hobby but one I find challenging. I want to give them at least as good a home if not better than what they had.

I have a few fish that I got when I first set up my tanks. I am careful about what and where I buy and feed them well and keep their homes clean.

I have been keeping saltwater/reef tanks for over 10 years, currently I just have just one little 20 gallon mixed reef with a clownfish and a goby and various invertebrates. Keeping marine fish, and especially corals,is a very technical hobby that requires a lot of research, financial investment in good equipment and a significant commitment of time for maintenance. But is also very relaxing and rewarding.

One thing that should be mentioned, especially on a scuba forum, is that this is a hobby that is potentially damaging to the marine/reef environment. Some collectors use very unsustainable collection practices (such as the use of cyanide and dynamite, over harvesting, etc.) because frequently the collection is done in very economically depressed areas where conservation takes a backseat to feeding the family. Most distributors have conceded to pressures of the market and only source animals where sustainable collection methods are practiced.
Even better, nowadays, there is more and more aquacultured/maricultured options, where hobbyist are trading tank raised/breed animals and there is even a few commercial endeavors that are doing this on a large scale. Not only is this practice more sustainable for the oceans reefs, but most of the time, captive raised/breed animals are much more successful in the home aquarium. At this time, the industry is still pretty limited, and while corals are available in an amazing array of colors and species, fish species are more limited because of technical hurdles that still need to be overcome.

If you already have a tank or are thinking of one, I would strongly encourage you to at least consider aquaculture and/or maricultured animals as often as you can or even try to go to a 100% farmed inhabitants.

Happy Reefing!

I have been keeping saltwater/reef tanks for over 10 years, currently I just have just one little 20 gallon mixed reef with a clownfish and a goby and various invertebrates. Keeping marine fish, and especially corals,is a very technical hobby that requires a lot of research, financial investment in good equipment and a significant commitment of time for maintenance. But is also very relaxing and rewarding.

One thing that should be mentioned, especially on a scuba forum, is that this is a hobby that is potentially damaging to the marine/reef environment. Some collectors use very unsustainable collection practices (such as the use of cyanide and dynamite, over harvesting, etc.) because frequently the collection is done in very economically depressed areas where conservation takes a backseat to feeding the family. Most distributors have conceded to pressures of the market and only source animals where sustainable collection methods are practiced.
Even better, nowadays, there is more and more aquacultured/maricultured options, where hobbyist are trading tank raised/breed animals and there is even a few commercial endeavors that are doing this on a large scale. Not only is this practice more sustainable for the oceans reefs, but most of the time, captive raised/breed animals are much more successful in the home aquarium. At this time, the industry is still pretty limited, and while corals are available in an amazing array of colors and species, fish species are more limited because of technical hurdles that still need to be overcome.

If you already have a tank or are thinking of one, I would strongly encourage you to at least consider aquaculture and/or maricultured animals as often as you can or even try to go to a 100% farmed inhabitants.

Happy Reefing!

Great advice. That is what has held me back, I watched an episode on the collecting of aquarium fish. :shakehead: I would buy farm fish no problem. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom