No white fins on a shark dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the popular liveaboards in the Bahamas -- the Shearwater, I believe -- does not allow white gear (fins, etc.) on their shark dives. Is this a common thing, or is it unique to that operation? I'm hoping to book a trip next year (probably Blackbeard's) and I'd hate to leave my white Mantaray fins at home.

Are white people not allowed on these shark dives?
:idk:

While getting out of the water in Galapagos, a pelican landed nearby. My husband took off his fins and booties at the same time...leaving him with nice white feet next to black wetsuit. He ended up with a pelican bite on his heel!
Our hypothesis is that the pelican thought he was carrying his fish catch out. ( no, we were not fishing!)
Anyhow, just remember, not all danger comes from below! :D
kristy

Are white people not allowed on these shark dives?
:idk:

My husband took off his fins and booties at the same time...leaving him with nice white feet next to black wetsuit. He ended up with a pelican bite on his heel!

Well, that's occurred to me as well. Caribbean diving with fellow divers who are exposing thighs and midsections that are -- pardon me for being frank -- the size and pale color of your average middle American thighs and midsections, how much do I really have to worry about with my white fins?

I have a comment to add to the cautionary side of the discussion. My wife and I did a shark dive out of Stella Maris On Long Island a few years ago. One of the divers in the group had (I stress HAD) lime green fins. He did not appear to be a polished diver - tended to kick a lot more than is necessary. At the end of the dive, as we were getting back on board, he was at the surface, with his BC inflated, but still kicking. The sharks were still milling around, and apparently one of them decided that his fins looked tasty, because it attacked his fins as ferociously as it had the chum. It pulled one fin off completely, and bit the other one hard enough to leave a 2" gash in it. We quickly dragged him back on board with no injury, but it was none the less a bit of a scare. The boat crew said that they had never seen such an attack before. All I know is that it made me glad for my black Plana Avantis. :)

One of the popular liveaboards in the Bahamas -- the Shearwater, I believe -- does not allow white gear (fins, etc.) on their shark dives. Is this a common thing, or is it unique to that operation? I'm hoping to book a trip next year (probably Blackbeard's) and I'd hate to leave my white Mantaray fins at home.

Take me with you! I'll loan you a pair of black fins, and watch your back!! :D

One of my freinds in Grand Bahama wears white as it allows her to get closer to the fish (she's a photographer) She's on shark dives at least twice a week and hasn't gotten bit yet!

One of my freinds in Grand Bahama wears white as it allows her to get closer to the fish (she's a photographer) She's on shark dives at least twice a week and hasn't gotten bit yet!

How does the white allow her to get closer? In any case, I'd love to talk with her. Would you be willing to PM me some contact info or relay mine to her? I've got a month to go and I'm still bumming a little bit about my options. That's how much I like the performance (color notwithstanding) of my Mantarays.

Some fish turn black when they feel threatened. Other fish take this as a warning sign to stay away. So... If we're all in Black they're going to keep their distance.

I'll send you a PM

Having completed numerous shark dives in various locations while wearing bright yellow scubapro jet fins I have never experienced increased attention from the sharks because of the colour of my fins. Proximity to the chum basket is another matter entirely. On one occasion, at Tiger Beach in the Bahamas, while right next to the chum basket a 10' tiger shark bit down on my tank and tossed me about in the water as though I was a rag doll. A bit later she sniffed at my calf while I was kneeling on the bottom. On a prior dive at the same location I was practically run over by another 10' tiger who then sneaked up behind me and kissed my butt. On all occasions it has not been about the colour of my fins. There are some video examples of these encounters at: OceanViewvideos.net - Sharks and, more specifically the Blackbeards shark dive at: OceanViewvideos.net - Bull Run. Enjoy your trip.

Okay, I guess I should've done a simple search before posting this question here. Yeah, I'm seeing a few things out on the web about this now. I guess I never really thought about sharks being attracted to high contrast patterns. Out here in CA, we always just worry about a great white taking a bite out of us when we're on the surface because our shape from below, not our - um - contrast ratio (?) resembles a sea lion.

It sucks because I just got rid of my old fins, I love my white APS fins and I certainly don't want to buy a set of fins for a single dive trip. Guess I'll drag out my old Body Glove snorkeling fins. How dorky is that?

spray paint.

My wife wore a completely white wetsuit on our shark feeding dive in the Bahamas and she lived to tell the tale. I don't think the sharks paid her any more attention than any of the other divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom