Ben's Cavern?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend and I will be diving Grand Bahama next month, and most of our dives will be on the reefs to the south. However, I've heard that Ben's Cavern (cave) was a potential dive even for those who are not cave certified (with the proper guide, of course). Is this so, and would anyone know what shop/service would be good to arrange this through? Any observations, insights, and suggestions you might offer would be appreciated.

There are only 4 people on the Island that have permision to take divers into the cave.
They can only take 4 divers at a time. Also, it's off limits when the bats are nursing thier young, So call ahead to arrange your dives.

I would recomend Grand Bahama Scuba (for all your diving needs on Grand Bahama). Great outfit, knowledgable staff, and Fred and Melinda are great guides!

My wife and I dived Ben's Cavern with Fred a few years ago. It was one of our more memorable dives. Another Cave/Cavern system that I think is an even more awesome dive is Owl's Hole.They can take you there too.

Have a great trip and tell us all about it when you get back!!

Thanks, Tavi, for the info. My friend and I are already booked with Fred for two days (we're studying the effects of the lionfish invasion, and Fred has a rather unique take on the problem.

I'll ask him about the caves, though. Thanks for the heads-up!

Great! I wish more people were aware of Freds take on the Lionfish. A few months ago he did a presentation "Lionfish, Saviors of the Reef" at the New England Aquarium and Dive Club. I wish I could have gotten there to see it! It'd be nice if he could post it online somewhere.

Have fun!

Yup, I wish I could have gotten there, too (but I'm a half continent away!) Fred and I have been corresponding, and that's the main impetus behind our trip. I want to see first-hand what Fred is observing, and build upon that. I'm also working on data in the correlation of the speed of the lionfish expansion and the depletion of mid-level predators. The question is, "Were the indigenous predators already depressed before the invasion, or did the arrival of the lionfish push them out?" If it's the former, then that has a greater message about our human role in the invasion, with very dramatic ramifications. We'll see how that plays out, though. Wading through the raw data is time consuming!
Thanks for your input. I'd like to chat about it with you again after our trip, if that's okay.

Yes, I'd like to chat more after your trip.

I know that since I saw my first Lionfish, each year I've been to Grand Bahama the are more and bigger Lionfish.

Thanks, Tavi, for the info. My friend and I are already booked with Fred for two days (we're studying the effects of the lionfish invasion, and Fred has a rather unique take on the problem.

I'll ask him about the caves, though. Thanks for the heads-up!

Fred's take on lionfish seems to be completey opposite of almost everyone else, but it is built upon several years of studying them up close and personal; I had a great time talking to him about it last year, and I'm really looking forward to going back in June.

KevinL

Back
Top Bottom