Drinking & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with Jorge above.

After a day of 3-4 dives, I have two beers after dinner and just want to sleep.

Last edited:
My question is..
If I have a beer at lunch (noon) and want to dive at 3:00, how is that going to impair my judgement or dehydrate me?

My first reaction to this would be to congratulate you on being able to drink one beer at lunch and then stop.

Many people who start drinking that early in the day probably can't keep it to one, hence the rule.

R..

I used to allow myself a single beer hours before diving, say at lunch.

Now i just don't drink before diving. No particular reason. Just a personal preference. Keeps things simpler for me.

A day without wine is like a day without sunshine, the French have the right idea. And I do like my "sunshine" and especially when I'm on vacation. However, when diving, 1 beer with dinner. nothing more. I want to be in the best shape possible for the dives. And I would rather the DM not have to practice their rescue diving skills on me. When I'm spending a lot of time and money to go diving, why risk messing it up for an extra couple of beers?

Guess I don't get the point. Sure a beer with lunch is good but it's just not worth it ya know. I mean why do anything to possibly lead to a bad time. You've paid for the trip, maybe taken time off work, and traveled maybe even a good distance, sounds like there is many other better things to do than having one beer. Shrug. Seems like a no brainer.

My first reaction to this would be to congratulate you on being able to drink one beer at lunch and then stop.

Many people who start drinking that early in the day probably can't keep it to one, hence the rule.

R..

I am very conservative with alcohol the day/night before I dive. I usually dive in the morning. After a couple of morning dives, my buddies and I will carb up with burgers and 2 or 3 beers. When I get home, I get my gear in the rinse tank and it is lights out until supper time.

While I used to drink and dive in my early 20's (hey we were on a boat and to us it was like fishing where beer goes hand in hand.) By my late 20's I was drinking Syfo on the boat.) I can't imagine my drinking beer before a deep dive today.

I had a couple beers recently a couple hours before a BHB weight check dive in 16 ft of water. Even then I was uncomfortable because I was not "on" if you know what I mean.

As teenagers we used to drink and ski (snow). We all thought we skied better after a couple of beers. Actually all we were doing was skiing more aggressively (carelessly).

I have not seen "formal" recommendations, but the founder of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, Chuck Shilling, recommended 24 hours as the time it would take to assure complete rehydration.

If you can't abstain from booze past lunchtime, then there might be personal issues that need to be addressed.

Is it really so hard to enjoy a fruit juice with your lunch?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom