Christi with Blue XTSEA Takes a TypeII DCS Hit (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can be sure nothing like that happened here. There has been no cause for moderator action in this thread, not even a SPAM violation, which seems to be happening just about everywhere else these days.
Allow me to rephrase my comment. I have seen the article count and page count get out of whack when the mods had to excise some articles. I had assumed that that was what had happened this time, but we all know what ass-u-ming can do. :mooner:

It's been a month since my DCS hit, which turned out to be much more than the skin bends as I initially thought! Symptoms that later presented and ongoing treatment revealed an inner ear bubble. As previously posted, symptoms began only with the belly pain and splotchy bruising in my torso the evening after my last dives. Through the course of that first night, more symptoms developed and I called Dr. Piccolo 1st thing the next morning.

I got worse before I got better. A normal progression with skin bends and treatment is that as the nitrogen comes out of the fat tissues, it can migrate to the blood stream - which is what happened - on top of the fact that I also had the inner ear bubble. I ended up having 7 hyperbaric treatments and made significant recovery after those 7 chamber rides, with minimal Romberg symptoms (balance/stability) still presenting.

Unfortunately, I am still very much in recovery mode and have not been released to exercise other than light walking. I am recovering, but it is a slow process. I am still experiencing some residual symptoms (migraines, dizzy spells, extreme fatigue and balance issues). Fortunately, I don't have all of these every day anymore - I have good days and bad days - so my goal right now is to string more good days together.

This has been MORE than frustrating, as those of you who know me, KNOW how hard it is for me to slow down - BUT - I have to, I have no choice and this is the ONLY part of my recovery that I can control. So - that's what I have to keep doing - resting, eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and taking care of myself which means listening to my body and shutting down if I need to!

I WILL be back in the water one of these days, but I won't be doing it without carrying along my very own bottle of 50% - 80% O2 for off gassing! I will be starting Advanced Nitrox and Deco Theory with Germman Yanez in the next month or so depending on his schedule!

I am incredibly grateful to all of you for your support through e-mails, PM's, facebook posts, etc. and will keep you posted on my recovery!

Wow Girl....How did I miss this thread. Sooooo sorry you took a hit, but I am sure you will be back at 100% soon.. Just listen to your body and take your time....

Just heard about this today. You're on my prayer list girl! Keep getting better!

christi, Talk to richard pile, he has been hit a few times, he might shed light in his recovery and his safe diving practices.

Take care and ascend slowly through the sea.

Happy Diving

OMG!! Dandy Don just sent me an e-mail about this! I haven't been on SB much lately and was totally unaware that this had happened to you! I am really happy to hear things are improving. I must admit, this sounds like a much longer recovery period than I would have imagined. Guess I am not that familiar with the nuances of DCS! And, given a choice, I certainly would not want to gain any first hand knowledge! :shakehead: Keep on getting better!

Well, I try to avoid being a gossip, but was wondering if Bill/suprane had been on lately and knew - so I asked. I figured he'd want to know as a friend, not as a doc. Well, anesthesiologists are experts on blood gases and all I guess, but I am sure that Christi is getting excellent care from her physician there, counsel from DAN if desired, and anything else that can be done.

Sounds like she is giving her body time to heal which I guess is first and foremost. Beyond that, I could only guess at suitable therapy?

I'd certainly hate for her to quit diving, stop coming on here to help others, stop arguing with me on occasion :D but I doubt that there is any risk in any of that.

How about an update?

Things getting better Christi? Any idea when you'll be back in the water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom