Help an OW diver out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read a comment that an OW diver was the "most dangerous thing in the sea," and I have some questions.

1. Are OW divers really that bad? Why?

2. What advice do you have for an OW diver so as to avoid being a "danger?"

Obviously, I am an OW diver, however, I am already enrolled in my AOW class and I plan on continuing through the instructor levels.

There are a lot of bad divers out there regardless of certification. There are a lot of real good divers out there regardless of certification.

Regardless of your certification, dive within your experience and comfort.

I was close to 200 dives when I got my AOW, Divemaster, and Rescue.

AOW is a step to getting to some fun classes. Rescue diver is a great course.

Get out there and dive and don't stop learning, you'll be fine.

I read a comment that an OW diver was the "most dangerous thing in the sea," and I have some questions.

There are vast variations possible in the quality of training and all of those variations fall within the standards. The instructor makes a big difference and so does natural "talent". Some OW divers are excellent coming out of the gate, others are not. Many have buoyancy issues that correct themselves with a little experience.

Go slow

R..

Scuba diving is a remarkably safe and easy past-time.

When accidents occur, it normally concerns a diver who has exceeded the recommendations associated with their qualification and/or disregarded the basic skills, training and advice given to them on their training course...whether that is from negligence or complacency.

Statistically the majority of diving fatalities are caused by human error, not dangerous marine life.

Scuba diving is a remarkably safe and easy past-time.

When accidents occur, it normally concerns a diver who has exceeded the recommendations associated with their qualification and/or disregarded the basic skills, training and advice given to them on their training course...whether that is from negligence or complacency.

While I am one to "dwell" on the "up side" of most situations, my peripheral comprehension of dive fatalities is that the vast majority have one of three "markers" - over 40 years old, bad health and not paying attention to the SPG.

If your over age 40 and in questionable shape, pay close attention to your gas! :eyebrow:

- Some are, but I could say the same thing about AOW divers. I think any diver who only does a couple dives a year or has long periods of time between dives or even someone who has 2000 dives and certified 30 years ago; represent the possiblity of being label a bad diver and dangerous.

WHY? because if you don't use it... you lose it. AOW divers who dive infrequently have a false sense of security and often take risks that they really are not ready for, as a DM I have seen more issues with this diver than any other. They refuse to take advice, ignore the dive briefing and prefer to show off their limited knowledge. A seasoned diver may not be up on the latest information, case scenarios, use of dive computers, have old and never serviced equipment, etc. This diver is also dangerous when their HP air hose ruptures and creates an OOA situation at lets say 70 feet. (I have witnessed this) Whereas a newely certified diver is more cautious, pays attentions and takes direction readily.

The only advice I can really give is make sure you had a good instructor. If you feel you had good and thorough instruction you will not be included in the dangerous catagory. Keep diving and gain additional training...at least through Rescue Diver. Your dive buddies will appreciate your level of traing the most.

good diving to you!

brian

Obviously, I am an OW diver, however, I am already enrolled in my AOW class and I plan on continuing through the instructor levels.

I see this as part of the problem myself. Each stage of education involves a learning period and an assimilation period; sometimes the latter can take a long time when the parameters involve major expansions of paradigms.

OW and AOW covers a lot of ground. Basically sport diving at recreational levels and all that entails.
Rescue is supposed to take that competent diver and enable them to become capable of aiding another diver in distress (can't really do that if you're not competent yourself).
DM takes a competent diver, capable of aiding another diver in distress and adds the responsability for overseeing routine dives with less capable divers in the water.
Instructor should take a competent diver, able to aid another diver in distress and oversee both a DM and less capable divers while also teaching core diving skills... Yadda yadda yadda.

The current market strategy of selling the student the next course before the current one is finished means that they (the student) have very little time to assimilate what they have learned, leading to divers with the impression of competency but very little practical ability. You have OW/AOW certified divers who are barely competent taking Rescue while still needing DM's to complete routine dives and DM's who may be competent but may have only just learned the theory of aiding another diver themselves, all being taught by instructors who may have no more than 100 dives themselves.

My advice, not that I'm prone to giving that sort of thing, would be similar to that which my mother tried unsuccessfully to give to me in my youth: Take small bites and chew slowly.

A seasoned diver may not be up on the latest information, case scenarios, use of dive computers, have old and never serviced equipment, etc. This diver is also dangerous when their HP air hose ruptures and creates an OOA situation at lets say 70 feet. (I have witnessed this) Whereas a newely certified diver is more cautious, pays attentions and takes direction readily.

Perhaps it was a LP hose. A HP hose would not release that much gas that quickly.

I bet that seasoned diver with old equipment and no computer probably isn't much of a liability either.

Last edited:
I would much rather dive with an OW diver that has logged a thousand hours then an AOW diver with fifty hours or less.

But if he done the same wrong thing for a thousand dive it does not mean he is better in the water. We have this place called breakwater and that all they dive and have hundreds of dives but I would not take them too another beach call Monastery beach they never develop there diving skills.

Hook up with a good club, or find a good experienced group of people that will take you in and get some time in the water, GO SLOW, the fun and experience will come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom