Need help finding kapiti island dive op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmantei

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in the Levin area late in April and want to go out to kapiti island April 29 and/or may 1st.

Looking for shops that run regular trips out to kapiti, I would prefer a shop in Paraparaumu, as driving into wellington to go back to kapiti means getting up alot earlier :D

The only shop I know of in Paraparaumu is Kapiti Dive - Dive Kapiti, Scuba, Spearfishing, Snorkelling.

No idea if they run/organise dive charters or whether they are any good if they do.

You'll get more choice if you include the Wellington shops. A lot of them launch from Paraparaumu anyway, so might be able to meet you there. Kapiti Island is often not an option for diving due to the weather - so check the cancellation policy of whomever you choose to go with.

Hi
Andy's advice is correct. Getting the best out of Kapiti requires a southerly so that you can dive the marine reserve at the North end (which in a southerly is sheltered by the island). Dive Kapiti are the most likely to be running trips and if a Wellington based outfit is doing so they will be meeting at Paraparumu to depart. It is possibly worth emailing Island Bay Divers and Splash Gordon but my experience has been that whenever we arranged a trip it was usually put off twice before we finally got away! And I wouldn't accept the South end of the island as a substitute it is pretty average. Also beware of trips that are largely populated by hunters after crayfish, they will be operating outside the reserve. I would want a guarantee that at least one dive was in the reserve, if the second is outside but on the margin it is OK.

You could have a look at this local board, not sure how may Kapiti coast divers are active on it at present. Scuba Dive New Zealand Online Dive Community - Scuba Diving in New Zealand & Australia Forum including Dive Training, Dive Holidays, Equipment, Dive Buddies, Photos & More

On the other hand you could just go to Kapiti island and enjoy the birdlife - it is a fantastic environment above the sea!

Alison

got to agree with the other posts here, check with the Wgtn outfits and get in to the reserve, awesome site!
By way of encouragement I have done 3 charters there in the last few months and all have gone ahead as planned, it is getting late in the season though and the weather can really turn nasty in a short period of time.

Back
Top Bottom