Panglao/Moalboal - Exposure protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is 5mm too much for dive sites around Balicasag/Alona and Moalboal dive sites in April? I gather the 'usual' water temp range is 27-29C but that varies. I know exposure protection is very personal but as a reference point I was freezing my a.. off EVERY SINGLE dive in Cozumel this past December (hypothermia with shivering and all) in 77F water with perhaps slightly compressed 3/2 Mares full suit with a 3mm Pinnacle vest. Thanks!

No thermoclines? We are planning to do a full week of diving, multiple times a day. So given my tendency to get chilled I am a bit worried - hence my question.

Is 5mm too much for dive sites around Balicasag/Alona and Moalboal dive sites in April? I gather the 'usual' water temp range is 27-29C but that varies. I know exposure protection is very personal but as a reference point I was freezing my a.. off EVERY SINGLE dive in Cozumel this past December (hypothermia with shivering and all) in 77F water with perhaps slightly compressed 3/2 Mares full suit with a 3mm Pinnacle vest. Thanks!

I don't think it is overkill. Depends on how much diving you will be doing and if you are a photographer - i.e. don't move around much. I usually dive 3-5 dives a day including night dives. I'm bought a new full 5mm Bare wetsuit and hood (head protection from sun too as I am kalbo) as I will be able to use the suit even after it gets compressed as I keep diving it as my 3mm didn't make it past a few trips. I think a hood will help you out quite a bit for warmth too.

Thanks, perhaps I should get a hooded vest or a separate hood and gloves to my wardrobe.

Judging by your description of your trip to COZ, 5mm will definetly not be too much... I also agree with the others: a Hood will help a lot! Some gloves too while you're at it... But don't use that as an excuse to touch everything...:no:

You might even consider a thin vest (2mm) to slip over/ under the 5mm to add a bit more... But that might be overkill...

I did two tank dives in Moalboal in the beginning of May 2009, water temperature of 29 dec C in a 2/3mm farmerjohn without rashguard, hood and boots to a depth of 18m, and I had no problems. I think if you use 3mm full wetsuit (no a shorty) that should be more than adequate in April. You can bring a hood as a just in case item no harm in that, but I dont think you will need it. If you need extra protection then you can buy an extra rashguard to slip over at almost every resort in the Philippines.

Back
Top Bottom