Had a new river spike made

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AeroMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I still need to drill the lanyard hole at the end of the handle but this thing is solid and heavy.

I started with a 2" round stock of bronze about 6 inches long and a 3/4" diameter, 1 foot long stainless steel bolt from a fork truck.

slapped them in the lathe and viola! I now have a much better river spike. Over all length is 13 inches. I will let you all know how it does when I go diving this Saturday in the Cooper river.

riverspike.jpg

riverspike2.jpg

Very nice work.

Serious question:
What do you use that for?

(I love metal work BTW, Nice!)

Serious question:
What do you use that for?

(I love metal work BTW, Nice!)

I use it to drive it into the marl bottom of the rivers to tether me to the bottom while I do black river fossil diving. It helps when there is a current so that I can just hang there on the bottom while I search. The marl is like hard packed clay and this spike should do good with it because it is heavy. I was using a phillips screwdriver with the tip ground to a point and I was not able to drive it in fully.

Makes me want to go out and fire up my lathe! Very nice :)

Peter, I tell ya what, if a person has their own lathe and can obtain the stock at a reasonable price, then they could stand to make some decent money. I am going to look into this from my end as there are a 100's of river divers in the SE region that could use this.

I was thinking of getting some of these made if it turns out to be a good spike...

Back
Top Bottom