LOB in Philippines (apr-may)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gujustud

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey fellow divers,

I posted up on these forums about a year ago when I was looking for a LOB in Thailand and ended up getting a awesome recommendation and ended up diving with the MV Pawara. So I figured I'd ask here again :wink:

Fast forward a year, my wife and I are backpacking for 3 months (currently in India) but will be in the Philippines/Palau area between the period of Apri 18 - May 22nd.

We are looking to do another LOB (in the Philippines) approx 5-7 days. We are both AOW certified, but I am looking at doing my rescue diver course while on the LOB during the first few days.

We don't require super luxury, but we also don't want to feel super cramped. Max 20 divers on a boat.

We've done some research and have looked at the Expedition Fleet on the Tubbataha route. Any other recommendation would be highly appreciated! TIA!

I dived for 4 days in Anilao last year and the local guides said really good things about the Expedition Fleet liveaboards to Tubbataha - especially the Stella Maris. Two other boats I have web links for are the Dschubba and the Queen Anne.

If I were you I would not do a rescue course on a liveaboard. The rescue course is cool, and is well worth taking; however, it involves a lot of dives where you are practicing various procedures so that you don't really have a chance to look at the critters at a dive site. I would do the rescue course from a land-based operator beforehand.

I did the AOW course on a liveaboard. That was OK in that the number of skills you practice are modest so you can still enjoy the dive sites. With the rescue course, I wouid be afraid of coming back to the boat after a long rescue procedure dive and hearing everyone say how they saw dolphins, whale sharks, mantas, mandarin fish, and schooling hammerheads all on one incredible (and unlikely) dive that I had missed. You pay a premium to be on a liveaboard, and I'd like that premium to go towards seeing the critters.

You cannot compare The Expedition fleet with either Dschubba(Mark) and Queen Ann(Urs). These two small wooden boats are for budget conscientious divers and based on Puerto Princesa. I have been on Queen Ann and Mark's previous boat Moonshadow to Tubattaha. Both are adequate but if you are prone to seasick then.......I wouldn't mind to try Dschubba.
Azores(Atlantis PG) and SY Siren are other options but they are on the expensive side.

Does anyone dove on Dschubba?
how different is it from the Moonshadow?
how is the owner?

A friend of mine did the queen anne and felt a bit alone betwwen only german speakings people and an owner ( Urs ) a litlle bit... distant.

ALT is absolutely right on this. Get to a dive destination a few days in advance near by the departure are of the LOB. Do your Rescue course. Then take 100% advantage of the liveaboard. You are paying big$$ for that liveaboard... Take full advantage of your time on it!:coffee:

I dived for 4 days in Anilao last year and the local guides said really good things about the Expedition Fleet liveaboards to Tubbataha - especially the Stella Maris. Two other boats I have web links for are the Dschubba and the Queen Anne.

If I were you I would not do a rescue course on a liveaboard. The rescue course is cool, and is well worth taking; however, it involves a lot of dives where you are practicing various procedures so that you don't really have a chance to look at the critters at a dive site. I would do the rescue course from a land-based operator beforehand.

I did the AOW course on a liveaboard. That was OK in that the number of skills you practice are modest so you can still enjoy the dive sites. With the rescue course, I wouid be afraid of coming back to the boat after a long rescue procedure dive and hearing everyone say how they saw dolphins, whale sharks, mantas, mandarin fish, and schooling hammerheads all on one incredible (and unlikely) dive that I had missed. You pay a premium to be on a liveaboard, and I'd like that premium to go towards seeing the critters.

Thanks everyone for your information. We looked into the Siren Philippines, but unfortunately they are fully booked for our dates (they offered to split us up in two different rooms, but one week is a little long :wink: )

We are looking at the Stella Maris if we can fit into their schedule.

Makes total sense about the rescue course. I'm now looking at potentially doing that in Palau on land, prior to the LOB if scheduling works out that way.

Hello, just a couple of other things to consider. Don't forget your EFR before the Rescue. And one other option is to do most of the course ie. bookwork and pool work before and then finish off with a day of scenarios on the boat. I actually work for Expedition Fleet so if you need anything or have any queries, obviously, very happy to help. Just got back from Tubbataha 2 weeks ago - great fun...
Email me direct if you want jo@cia.com.ph
ps and the water temp was 28 - 29 degrees - lovely!!

ps - as we have a LOB in Palau as well as in the Philippines I'll try to get you a good deal for both if you want? Not sure if you were doing LOB in Palau too? By the way - awesome diving there too - spent 3 weeks last August - again great fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom