OWSI in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
I'm planinng to do my OWSI course in the Philippines, and would like to know what dive centers provide the courses. Am also interested in doing an internship.

I'm aware of Asia Divers in Puerto Galera and
Thresher Shark Divers and Exotic in Malapascua

Please let me know what other dive centers that provide OWSI you know of besides these.

For those who have done their OWSI and other Pro courses in the Philippines, it would also be good to hear about your experiences with those dive centers (plus qualities of diving and environment).

Many thanks,
Andy

Of those you mentionned, I would pick Asia divers simply because of their location (PG) in one of, if not the most, frequented dive destination of the PIs. This will assure you lost and lost of working experience, which is essential with those courses. For this reason alone, Asia divers beats out the two others...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Atlantis in PG
Sea Explorers, Atlantis and Atmosphere all in Dauin/Dumaguete

I did my IDC and IE on Boracay with Calypso Divers back in 1999. George Wegmann was the CD. I was good friends with the owners of Fisheye Divers so I worked there during and after the course.
For me, life on Boracay was great. I'm not so particular about where I dive and being in the water makes me happy. Plus I lived in Iloilo for 10 years prior to that so I had a lot of friends and family that would come and hang out too.
It's nice to teach there too. There is a shallow, clear white beach with little to no current for confined water. You have to walk about 100 yards out with gear on but it's not bad..
But "Bora" has changed and developed quite a bit since then.

IDC for me at Asia Divers.....I am biased....it is THE PLACE TO GO!

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.
This is the list as of now.

Dive centers in the Philippines that offer OWSI courses

Boracay Calypso Divers
Dauin/Dumaguete Atlantis
Dauin/Dumaguete Atmosphere
Malapascua Thresher Shark Divers
Malapascua Exotic
Puerto Galera Asia Divers
Puerto Galera Atlantis

Hope the list can be of use for other prospective instructors too.
Asia Divers seem to get most of the votes right now, but I'm not sure if it's just due to the size.
Sea Explorers do not offer OWSI courses any longer.

Feel free to add more dive centers, and not the least, it would be nice to get more specific opinions. "What are the usp's?"
(unique selling points)

Thanks,
Andy

Maybe im out of line here but isnt taking your OWSI more about a quality I.T. (instructor trainer) I realize a good quality shop is part of it but I would be spending more time on researching the instructor and interviewing them to see if there a good fit for you.

@ NorthernShrinkage,
Yeah, good point. It's essential to have a good trainer.

But there's a bunch of other important factors, too. Such as:
- Dive center (policy, experience, size, variation in clientele)
- Location (for instance, Malapascua is remotely located)
- Course dates
- Price

At this point, I'm just trying to get an overview of where I can do it and what differs between the offerings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom