Advice for OW cert dives next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glen99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My daughter (13) and I are going to Florida next week to get our OW cert. We will be diving Devil's Den, Crystal River and Rainbow River. I would appreciate and advice from seasoned divers about what to expect during our first "out of the pool" dives. I have been explaining to my daughter that underwater we are equals, our air supply and equipment do not care how old we are or who is the parent or child. I do not want to scare her, but want to understand that this is a big responsibility and she has as much right as anyone to end a dive or question a dive plan.

I would also like to hear from anyone who dives regularly with their child about the challenges and joys of this experience. It is scary taking my child underwater for the first time, but I think the experience and bonding have the potential to be very rewarding for both of us.

thanks

glen

Just relax, and have fun. Imho. The more you relax the less you will forget and the better you will do.

The last time I was in those rivers, we weren't divers yet, just floating around in tubes having fun. But I do remember that even though it's Florida, and the air is hot, those rivers, fed by massive underground rivers and springs, can be chilly. Being cold could have a negative impact on your experience, so be sure you have the exposure gear you need ... then have a ball!

My daughter certified with us as a young teen too. We all did well, but I think she adapted even easier than we did! Be concerned about her, but not worried. :wink:

MJDiverMark has it absolutely right. Relax & have fun. The instructor shouldn't go over anything,... if much, you haven't already seen. If they do, they will usually demonstrate it & it usually minor stuff. The primary things you will do, you have practiced in the pool. Don't over- think it or add stress where there is none. Listen to the instructor's briefs & instructions & you will do fine. Enjoy the scenery & chance to blow bubbles!:D

I don't know what is available at those sites, but I would suggest making sure you have water and food there.

Nothing sucks worse then a hunger headache or longing for hydration.

Hey Glen99

I am no expert. I just completed my OW dives last week with my soon to be 13yr old son. I too found it a bit scary and it did take me the first 2 dives to even look at the ocean floor instead of remaining fixated on my younger buddy. Mine was a PADI course and on the first dive to 40ft all we did underwater was a partial mask clear and then just swam around and chilled, get's you used to the enviroment without the stress of doing drills first time down. Second time going down to the bottom after that is no big deal :D

All you need to do is relax, keep your buddy close and help her become a safe diver by learning good habits early like checking her SPG often. I had my son do this every 5 mins by signalling my figures first until after a few dives he would take the lead and signal me first. Good to know that they are situationally aware.

The instructor on my course buddied up with an 11 yr old girl and there was never any talk during briefings about checking gauges nor did I see the girl ever looking at her gauges. When I was buddied with the girl during my son's CESA I gestured for her air reading and she did not know what I meant or how to give a reading (I shared with her later). Remember that you are ultimately responsible for you and you being the adult IMHO have to reinforce that muscle memory in your child too. Seems like a no brainer to a newbie like me! Oh yeah and read all you can on this board it has helped me immensely.

There is nothing on the course any different from the pool just doing the drills again at depth and that is a mind thing .... just keep in a positive frame of mind and both of you will have no worries.

Other than that - relax and enjoy the show :popcorn:

Good luck and let us know how you enjoyed it!

Make sure you have the proper exposure suits including hoods, Hydrate as needed, Listen to your instructor and Enjoy the view.
AND let us all know how you did! BTW (Florida has some nice ocean dives too :rofl3:)

Relax and have a good time. If it's like many away trips I have seen they should be setting up or providing guidance of food and hydration be keep your eyes open.

Those locations will not be thermally stressful with 3-5 mm suits. Do be i boots with open heel fins to help you get around.

Be sure to plan for a salt water orientation with a DM or instructor when you get around to ocean diving. There are things you will want to be up to speed on before shore or boat diving in the ocean.

Have a great time! What you need to demonstrate should all be familiar but the surrounding will be much more captivating.

Pete

I've dove Rainbow River several times and you will love it. Very relaxing slow drift. It goes up and down from 25 feet to 5. The bottom is like rolling hills sort of. The water stays 72 degrees year round. There's not much too see in the way of fish but you'll be training so it won't matter. Rainbow is fun either way, training or normal dive. Great visibility. Have fun! Are you going out with American Pro Dive by any chance? If so then you will really enjoy them. Nice shop and pool at the shop there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom