Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After trying several dive ops in Key Largo I fully recommend Conch Republic Divers. They also did me a huge personal favor with my two dogs when I was down there last time and was having trouble with the wacky people I rented from that week. Just really nice people and a really great dive shop.

Gary I did not know you had gotten bent. Man I am glad you got the help you need and glad to see you on your feet. It was good to meet you again at the Baltimore Dive Show. I hope you and the admiral are as happy and healthy as ever.

I recommend Key Largo and the Islamorada area over Key West. I dove Key West for the first time a few weeks ago and had a great time, but prefer Key Largo given the better visibility and the fact that I can get there in a 2 1/2 hours from my house. With that being said, Key West is much better topside if you are into night life, bars and clubs.

Cap't Gary and Conch Republic are A1 in my opinion CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS " COME SEE WHY WE'RE NOT JUST ANOTHER DIVE SHOP"

These two are also good: Silent World
Silent World Dive Center

and Quiescence
Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations

Last edited:
Keys Dive enter right on the left after you clear the bridge. They have 2 great Newtons to dive off that are comfortable and clean. It's a top notch operation!

This guy? My Experience Getting Bent - Blogs - The Cyber Diver

Who is watching out for his safety?

I know several people who have been treated for DCI yet had a dive profile that was within acceptable limits. Perhaps as suggested, you may want to read the article you've linked or brush up on DCI and what can cause it or that we can follow every established 'rule' and still be susceptible.

Here's an interesting study by DAN: DAN Divers Alert Network : Unexpected Decompression Illness

Gary took an unfortunate accident that happened to him and wrote about it so that hopefully others would learn and benefit. Yet, here you are trying to discredit him?? Silly.

Was there last in Aug. Tried everyone and have friends who live there; would only dive with Captains Corner - great people who make sure you have a fun and safe time. Incredibly helpful and professional without being snobby! Not exactly the fanciest or prettiest boat; but they know exactly what they are doing. Used Southpointe; and "Tropical Mike" and almost died! They "look" great; but pure cattle call. Told him I was a rookie (always do just to stay safe) and he sent me in with a bad reg; after i even questioned him. Started dumping air at 70 ft; had to buddy breathe to get to the hooka - lucky I am alive, no thanks to him, rushing everyone in so he can get back early and stuff his face. Can you tell I am a bit upset! Sorry to rant, but be careful.

The OP asked where the best diving was in the Keys - we can all agree that for all of the charms (and I'm being serious) of Key West, its not where you are going to find the best diving - universal recommendations have been the Key Largo area.

I suspect the dive you are describing is the Vandenberg - the OP has under 25 dives and is unlikely to be diving wrecks such as the Bibb Duane or Speigel Grove. And certainly not the Vandenberg!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience - but its difficult to really make sense of what exactly happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom