Advise on a charter in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami and current conditions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can you, guys, recommend a good charter in the area of Ft. Lauderdale - Miami. We are going on a business trip for 5 days of which 2 will fall on the weekend and I really want to spend them diving.

A big plus would be if they do night dives as well. If they are "DIR" friendly that would be a good plus although absolutely not necessary

I'm interested in seeing some reefs and possibly wrecks. We have a lot of the latter but none of the former so reefs are better :)

What is the water temp like now? Would 4/5mm wetsuit with a hood be sufficient? I do not want to bring my dry suit :)

Is there any interesting shore dive available in the area ?

Thanks a lot in advance...

OK - forget shore diving in Miami and the Keys, but good shore diving exists in Dania and Lauderdale by the Sea - others can chime in more about - look up Gold Coast Divers or PM Debby Diver - both excellent resources on Broward (FLL area) shore diving.

In Miami, your best bet is RJ Diving - superb Op; book DIRECTLY and save $5:

M J Beach
www.rjdiving.com
www.reefguard..org

They have scheduled night dives most Wed's and leave from Miami Beach Marina.

Others can post about Ft Lauderdale diving - personally, I would highly recommend Boynton Beach and Jupiter - Look up Scuba Kevin in Boynton, and Jupiter Dive Center.

DIR folks are not permitted on most charters in S. FL - its the first step in "doing it right" keeping 'em off!! Sorry, just kidding - could not resist!

OK - forget shore diving in Miami and the Keys, but good shore diving exists in Dania and Lauderdale by the Sea - others can chime in more about - look up Gold Coast Divers or PM Debby Diver - both excellent resources on Broward (FLL area) shore diving.

In Miami, your best bet is RJ Diving - superb Op; book DIRECTLY and save $5:

M J Beach
www.rjdiving.com
www.reefguard..org

They have scheduled night dives most Wed's and leave from Miami Beach Marina.

Others can post about Ft Lauderdale diving - personally, I would highly recommend Boynton Beach and Jupiter - Look up Scuba Kevin in Boynton, and Jupiter Dive Center.

DIR folks are not permitted on most charters in S. FL - its the first step in "doing it right" keeping 'em off!! Sorry, just kidding - could not resist!

Haha, I will pretend to be non DIR by wearing a pink snorkel :D

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will give then a call

Have to second Conrad and Oliver.
Sea Dog (Pompano dive Center) at the Sands Marina are a younger and less crusty crew.
Jim Abernathy is good too if you want to venture up to Palm Beach.

I just came back from Miami, and I dove with RJ Diving Ventures and will second Jupiter's recommendation. Comfortable boat with fresh water showers, a head, friendly and helpful crew. It's easy to drop off gear by the boat and then park in the garage. After diving you can have a drink and some food at the pleasant restaurant at the marina.

I saw a range of exposure protection from drysuits to only swim shorts. I wore an 8/6 and stayed warm in Miami and the Keys but was cold my last day in Boynton. Staying warm is such an individual thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom