Whiskey Wreck 3/19/2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, since I had no takers for diving on 3/18 or 3/19, I headed out late for the Whiskey Wreck in Gulf Shores.

Passing over the Perdido Pass Bridge, the water looked perfect. I arrived at the parking lot next to Bahama Bob's around 10:15am and got a spot right next to the boardwalk entrance.

I took my time gearing up, adjusting the bc straps for the LP72's, donning the (unnecessary) 7mm wetsuit, loading the required 24lbs of lead in the bc pockets, choosing a regulator, attaching my spool to the flag. I finally walked down to the water and started the dive at 10:45am.

Bad news #1: The city of Gulf Shores has allowed a jetski rental vendor to set up on this beach. They had the buoys set up about 10yds west of the Eastern most part of the whiskey wreck (a boil could be seen on the surface above the wreck from the light swell). I'm afraid that the buoys are bracketing the westernmost portion of the wreck. I wish they could move the buoys about 20yds further west.

Anyway, they had no renters when I entered the water, and I was mindful of the proximity during my dive. Vis was the best I've seen in years 20-30ft, few jellies (non-stinging), low waves, little swell, and 66o. The south side of the eastern part of the wreck is very much uncovered. The west end of this portion is more uncovered, the east end (where the rudder is, is much more covered. The north side of the western end of this portion shows a deep undercut, and several feet of relief. I also found what appeared to be a ladder leading from the deck beams(?) into the sand, vertically.

Sea life: lots of blennies, a stingray, some pinfish, and a large sheephead. Dive time was a little over 45mins, due mainly to a slight leak from my octo's fitting, and the smaller tanks. I considered a second tank, but decided to check out the jetties, instead. Air temps were in the low 70's.

I drove over to the regular jetties parking area off of Gulf Dr. and found "No Trespassing" "View Property" and "Towing Enforced" signs everywhere near the parking pad. Additionally, "no trespassing" sings bracketed the beach entry point I normally take down to the jetties. Aborted that dive plan. I'd hate to end the dive and find my truck gone.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like they are trying to eliminate shore diving in Gulf Shores. For safety reasons, I wonder if the state would entertain a petition to have the jet-ski area moved. Do they have another shore entry spot to the jetties.

Thanks for the report. I wish I'd been able to go with you.
20-30 viz on the whiskey would be outstanding!

I've not dived the Alabama point jetties, but I thought that was a pretty popular spot. Maybe some of the Gulf Shores locals can shed some light on what's going on?

Carl

There may not be much that can be done at the Jetties, since it involves private property, but something could be done about the Whiskey.

The first thing is to talk to the jet ski vendor to see if their willing to share. If not, then it would be advisable to get together with the 2.5 dive shops in the area to work on a plan to bug the Gulf Shores City Counsel and see if something can be worked out where both groups share access. If I didn't have my irons in so many other fires, I would take this on, but someone else will have to be the flag-bearer.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like they are trying to eliminate shore diving in Gulf Shores. For safety reasons, I wonder if the state would entertain a petition to have the jet-ski area moved. Do they have another shore entry spot to the jetties.

This is disheartening to hear. I was hoping to dive The Whiskey Wreck for the first time this summer. Bummer

The whiskey wreck is still diveable. I got the impression that Pleasure Island concession could be persuaded to set their buoys further away (within reason ), since they remove them at night. The attendants did take note of my flag, and the lane they set up ended well past the second sand bar.

Since they had no business, it was a moot point.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The only way I can see is to park over by the fishermen at the seawall and either hop over the wall or walk along the wall to the jetties. It's not the Destin walk from hell, but you would be dodging fishermen in a narrow path between the wall and a fence.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report.

The jetski vendors were there last year too. We told them there was a wreck out there that could create a safety hazard for a jetskier that falls from their PWC. The wreck is only 4-6 UW. They not only neglected to take head, but they got incredibly bitchy. :(

I definately think the local shops could speak with the chamber of commerce and get things moved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom