Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee, i am diving ga's intercoastals, below savannah.

It sounds like you are diving the general territory Bill Eberlein dives. I visited Bill a couple of years ago to take a closer look at the waters. It looked good to me personally. I tried to get a friend to take his boat down there and he declined. He said he did not like it because it was total blackness diving. He said you had to "feel" through the mud for teeth. He said the viz was generally zero even with lights.

Bill has the best collection of teeth I have ever seen. Here is his site:

Megateeth

I pulled this photo off Bills website

teeth.jpg

That's exciting Mike. Nothing like a quality tooth fresh from the water. LOVE the color and the fact that it has THREE CORNERS. The size is nice too! It's big enough to get out of the small tooth category. Really like the fact that it is not chipped anywhere and has the edges. This past Saturday we put in at Long Creek Landing and went down river about 5 miles.

What general area were you diving? Was it a dive charter?

---------------------------------------------------------------

ps: great news.... The local river temperatures are rising at approximately .8 degrees F per day. If this keeps up, looks like we should easily be in the low 70's within 10 days

Thanks Lee. I am checking these places out right now. Do you know if shore diving is possible? Is it recommended? Are there public access points where I can take my family and walk for fossils? I have seen some guided places, but I just kind of want to wander through some of the tributaries. I am sure there are good places to go. Public parks, etc? I appreciate the help.

Hey Sharky, how is viz where you are diving and what is the average depth you diving?

30-40 ft usually. viz i guess is relative, it varies depending on season. as water warms viz decreases and can be inches, if that. algae, silt, sediment, tides, darkness, all play a part. when i have 2-3 feet viz that is great. viz is not ever going to be anything like you would have at venice. i have been amazed on the cooper where there are gravel beds that you can see without a light and natural light permeates the water. not so where i dive.

That's exciting Mike. Nothing like a quality tooth fresh from the water. LOVE the color and the fact that it has THREE CORNERS. The size is nice too! It's big enough to get out of the small tooth category. Really like the fact that it is not chipped anywhere and has the edges. This past Saturday we put in at Long Creek Landing and went down river about 5 miles.

What general area were you diving? Was it a dive charter?

---------------------------------------------------------------

ps: great news.... The local river temperatures are rising at approximately .8 degrees F per day. If this keeps up, looks like we should easily be in the low 70's within 10 days

Down from Martins I think. We did a two day trip in my friends small jon boat and used a bunch of different ramps so I can't be sure.

Do you know if shore diving is possible? Is it recommended? Are there public access points where I can take my family and walk for fossils? I have seen some guided places, but I just kind of want to wander through some of the tributaries. I am sure there are good places to go. Public parks, etc? I appreciate the help.

Well you know how it goes. One can dive wherever they want. There are not many divers that shore dive around Charleston. AeroMike said he had been walking in a few in the Edisto river and Strawberry Landing on the Cooper river was a popular walk-in 20 years ago. Most diving around here is from boats. We have LOTS of gators so walking the edges of the larger rivers can be dangerous. We have some tribs and some creeks but I am not up on them. Kayaking the edges during low tide is a way some fossil hunters make their finds.

I would not recommend walking the edges where you could not see too far. I have walked at low tide near piers and bldgs since gators tend to shy away from humans. If you want a good experience, dive from a boat. The very few spots people walk in are hit so hard you usually do not find as nice of teeth or the amount you might on a dive boat.
It is true I have walked in on the Edisto river but it is at a spot people have been doing it for 20+ years so the findings are slim but you luck out every now and again.
I think after this past weekend, my walking in might be over, I am too spoiled with boats and reaching better spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom