Too much information? Ordering DAN Tag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasKaren68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK, so I joined DAN and went to order a tag/mirror. I am now at a site for Palancar Industries where they are asking for everything under the sun, including my Social Security Number. I can't think of a reason in the world they should need this, and it's required info for the order form. I guess I can understand requiring things like emergency contact info, and blood type but I am VERY protective of my SSN.

Should I put in all zeros? Would it even accept that? What about people from other countries who wouldn't have a SSN?

edit: OK I answered part of this question. All zeros was accepted. Sorry Palancar Industries but you don't need my Social Security No.

Reactions: Jax
Do a web search for "dog tags." You can get a pair of them, stainless steel, for about 6-7 dollars. Choose your own 3-4 lines of text, and I believe you can put different text on the second tag, so you could add more emergency info. Only limitation is you only get like 15 characters or so per line. I have my name, DAN number, and DAN phone number. That's it.

At that price, you can get metal luggage tags too. Either way, a great deal for divers.

Do a web search for "dog tags." You can get a pair of them, stainless steel, for about 6-7 dollars. Choose your own 3-4 lines of text, and I believe you can put different text on the second tag, so you could add more emergency info. Only limitation is you only get like 15 characters or so per line. I have my name, DAN number, and DAN phone number. That's it.

At that price, you can get metal luggage tags too. Either way, a great deal for divers.

Some of the larger chain stores like Petco have machines inside to make the dog tags while you wait.

Should I put in all zeros? Would it even accept that? What about people from other countries who wouldn't have a SSN?

It is actually illegal to require a SS number for anything besides Social Security.

Some companies and organizations use it as an easy way of assigning a unique number to your account, and if you don't mind that, it's up to you. But you should never feel compelled to give that number out to anyone, even if they say that they need it, it's required, etc...

It is actually illegal to require a SS number for anything besides Social Security.
Apparently, not quite. Some good information, including requirements for providing your SSN.

Legal requirements to provide your Social Security number

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for an SSN, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

As an inexperienced diver I can't give much diving advice, but in the real world I deal with alot of people who give up their SS# on the computer and live to regret it for a long time. Under NO circumstances give out your number even if you can't get what you want by doing so. You did good.

Buck

Apparently, not quite. Some good information, including requirements for providing your SSN.

Legal requirements to provide your Social Security number

"Google before you Tweet is the new Think before you Speak"

:)

I stand corrected! Thanks...

It looks like the exceptions are mainly for government programs. Not sure about what that banking exception is, might be a Patriot Act provision to track funds.

But the advice stands for companies that sell you luggage tags...

In the olden days, SSNs were not to be used for ID, and the card said that.
In 1974, the military started using SSNs instead of assigning service numbers. *
And sometime in the 1980s they removed the message about not using your SSN for ID from new cards.

* If I tell you my service number was 7 digits, it tells you I was enlisted in one of two branches.

Can someone tell me what all information is printed on a DAN tag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom