Any new recommendations/experiences in West Palm-Boynton area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You also asked for "experiences" so I have to suggest the Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach. This is a world-class shore dive, in protected waters, from a public park with plenty of free parking and a sandy beach entry. I call it "drive in" diving. The depths are 10' average with spots to 18' and, yes, this scuba and not free diving. You need to stay down to really see the critters. There are lots of interesting critters: all sorts of odd and colorful invertebrates, seahorses, octopi, lots of fish variety and colorful tropicals, etc. It is really amazing and on any given weekend you can find divers from Europe and all over the U.S. at the site. It is world famous as an underwater photography site.

The bridge is right next to an inlet, so at high tide (1 hour before to 1 hour after) the water is very clear. You really should dive during this window before and after high tide because that is when the current is manageable (and in fact not a problem at all from 30 min before high to 30 min after). because of the depth you can get 90 mins to 2 hours off of a single tank. I have had vis from 30' to 100'. There is an entire thread on this site (The Continuing saga of the Blue Heron Bridge) of over 300 pages, which should give you an idea of how great this site is.

Because of the shallow depth, good bouyancy control is vital so as not to disturb the bottom. Also, you need to have a floating dive flag to pull with you (about $15.00 at the shops).

there are 3 shops (Force E, Pura Vida, Brownies) within a few blocks of the bridge that can rent you tanks or supply any other gear you might need.

I would rate this as a "MUST DO" if you have not done it before.

We just did three days of diving off West Palm and Jupiter. The first day was with Jim Abernethy's boat, and I have nothing but glowing praise for that operation. The crew were enormously helpful, loading all the gear, and providing quick and effective assistance for divers moving to the swim step and climbing the ladder. The boat was immaculate, and accomodated our group (11 divers, I think) quite easily. They'd be my first choice for a dive op, if I were to go back.

The second day, we dove with the Walker boat out of West Palm. They were good people and did a nice job of getting us to the sites, and they were helpful, but the boat isn't laid out as well and was more crowded, and the ladder sucks. (Crawling to my station didn't float MY boat.)

The third day we dove out of Jupiter Dive Center, and I had some significant issues with them. The ramp you use to board and exit the boat is not secured, either at the dock end or on the boat. It has no hand rails. The crew did not help load or unload gear, so we were walking heavy equipment up a steep metal ramp with no way to help stabilize ourselves. The fall was about 10 feet to mud. In addition, the crew while on the boat did not assist divers from their stations to the swim step, or up the ladder and back onto the boat, nor did they relieve divers of things like cameras before reboarding. I wasn't impressed.

JDC serves a lot of advanced and independent divers who want nobody touching them or their gear. Deck hands usually wait to be asked for assistance. I have a lot of dives logged with JDC and have no problems. Once the deck hands know I won't bite their heads off, they will help and grab a camera or DSMB and reel when I'm on the ladder. Even had the Captain come down from the bridge when the hand was occupied.They'll also walk me to my bench.

I have had to ask the new hands for assistance, but they hustled when I did. Somebody complained on another forum that the JDC hand did not set up her gear, LOL. They won't touch a divers kit unless requested or if they see the diver is in dire straights. And frankly, if the diver needs help setting up, I would think twice about him diving.

And in fairness to the crew, with a boat load of GUE divers, I suspect they were even less inclined to lay hands on anybody.

Yeah, I can see how the boarding ramp can be squirrelly . Particularly when lugging doubles. Even, more so for a small woman.

Thanks for all the responses, you guys are great. I initially made reservations for three days of diving on one of the recommeded boats. However, I am now thinking that two days on the boat and maybe one day at the Blue Heron Bridge would be fun. So, does anyone want to show my daughter and me around the bridge on April 5th? I could maybe do the 4th if needed. High tide looks like about 10 am on the 5th, which is great for me, but a work day for most. I would be happy to buy lunch or even pay for a guide.

Mike

The third day we dove out of Jupiter Dive Center, and I had some significant issues with them. The ramp you use to board and exit the boat is not secured, either at the dock end or on the boat. It has no hand rails. The crew did not help load or unload gear, so we were walking heavy equipment up a steep metal ramp with no way to help stabilize ourselves. The fall was about 10 feet to mud. In addition, the crew while on the boat did not assist divers from their stations to the swim step, or up the ladder and back onto the boat, nor did they relieve divers of things like cameras before reboarding. I wasn't impressed.

In those areas I've only gone out with Jupiter Dive Center and Dolphin Sun (Lantana)..................

Jupiter Dive Center: I agree with TSandM's "I wasn't impressed." ......The briefing consisted of telling the divers how much bottom time they had; providing different times for air vs. N2 users, as well as what stuff we might encounter, how to know when to begin your ascent based on remaining gas, etc.

That is too bad that both of your experiences were so bad. I dive with JDC more than any other operator in the area and have never had issues. With the exception of a single time when there was a diver having some major problems, the deck hand always takes my camera and places it in the camera bucket. The deck hand almost always grabs my safty sausage as well. Also, I like the Christmas Tree ladder which allows you to board without removing your fins. In rough seas, I've had the on-board deck hand help me return to my spot once I re-board and I suppose I don't mind not having someone assist in calm seas. I guess I'd never stopped to consider the dockside boarding ramp since the boat is docked in such a calm area: I also have a dive bag that has wheels so that probably helps me with a easy boarding as well. I usually carry my own tanks onto the boat, but the deck hands are quite willing to load those if you ask. I've also found the in-water DM's to be top notch (Doug, Heather and Chris come to mind): I end up tipping them more than almost any other DM on other operations. The DM's pre-dive briefing usually includes a review of the site with a map as well: which is more than many of the ops do for dive briefings around here or in the Keys. I've only dove in Florida, so don't have a good idea of how dive briefings are conducted in other parts of the country, but JDC's seemed average to above average to me.

I have not been out with them since late December and I suppose things may have recently changed for the worse: I hope not.

Blue Heron Bridge is a great dive site: you'll enjoy it

Sandy's Sunday boat out of Riviera Beach marina, a smaller boat I had the pleasure of diving the Mizpah on a couple times last fall. Sandy runs a great operation - highly recommended!!:D

I was just wondering if anyone had any other glowing recommendations...............

You gotta eat,,, right??

Breakfast -
Johnny Longblades on Singer Island just a couple of blocks towards the ocean from Blue Heron Bridge. It's right on the ocean and serves up some of the best 4 egg omlets in an open, no walls restaurant right on the beach.
Menus

Lunch-
Riveria Marina Tiki bar - Great place watching the boats pull up and a few wild locals. Good burgers!

Dinner-
Rancho Chico in Jupiter. Monster food portions at cheep prices. Awesome warm chips and salsa. 2 locations in Jupiter and both great.

Also in downtown West Palm on Clematis st, the best and freshest seafood is at Bahama Mama's. The guy who owns it is a full time diver. If you try the Grouper Eleutheran dish, you will be ruined and never eat seafood anywhere else again. The bread pudding is not to be shared, make them order their own!!
Our Menu

To my fellow poster TS&M:

I'm sorry you did not have a better experience with Jupiter Dive Center - I have well over 200 dives with them, and to me the operation is the gold standard. I absolutly love the diving, people, service, convenience, all for a very reasonable cost; if you purchase multi trip cards - the price per dive is downright cheap! The owners are 2 of the best people you could ever find.

Some points:

Fl diving tends not to be "concerage" (sp) - you carry your gear, set it up (as it should be), and walk back to jump off and dive - I have also had my tanks carried at least 50% of the time - it would be 100% had I asked. I also have ALWAYS had a crew member walk w/ me when seas were up to make sure no one fell over - I've also crawled back when the seas were really "up"!

The ramp you mention is a function of the tidal flow - personally, I'll put up w/ a PITA ramp to have the boat just feet from my car.

Thay are super people; very professional.

Some have commented about hunters and non on the same boat - if there are enough of each, they will put them on separate boats - if not, they go on one - in this economy, its better to have one full boat vs 2 boats and the associated expenses because some - like me for instance - would prefer not to dive w/ hunters.

Again, I am sorry your experience was not better and hope you and others will dive w/ them again.

Hey Gerry/JDC - you want to chime in??

John made me hungry.

This place just opened and Jupiter Dive Center opened another shop (connecting with the bar) called the Riverwalk Dive center. Located in the Jupiter Yacht Club.

Welcome To Dive Bar Restaurant

Still 2 boats at JDC and there will be a third at the Dive Bar.

That ramp is actually very secure if it's set right, as it always is. The captains make sure of it. During a super low tide, it is rather steep. During high tide, it's completely level. Yes, Jupiter 31 is correct....it's all about the tides. I work on Blue Tang and we don't touch anybody's gear either, unless they want us to or need help. I remember a group of went to Cozumel and they tried to set up our gear. They never tried to touch it after the first day. LOL!!

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom