Single malt Scotch (Islay) afficionados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
My whisky buying days are over for a while. I have enough on hand to keep me busy for a while. My next "never tried it" purchase will be Laphroaig 15.

Almost finished with the Auchentoshan. It's surprisingly very nice.
My wife is still enjoying the Bunnahabhain 18.

Unopened in the cellar are Scapa (14), Old Pulteny (12?), Bruichladdich (15) and Bowmore (12?).

Open in the cellar are Ardbeg (10), Laphroaig (QC), Lagavulin (16), Caol Ila (12), Bunnahabhain (12?).

Finished are Caol Ila (18), Laphroaig (10 and CS), The MacAllan, Highland Park, Talisker, Oban, a couple of small bottles of Balvenie, McClelland (a young Bowmore), Glenlivet, Bruichladdich (not 15)

Scapa is gone; not bad.

Old Pulteny is gone; so so.

Bowmore 12 is open and rather nice; I imagine it as a peaty MacAllan.

We just opened the Bruichladdich 15YO and it's not bad.

Still, I prefer Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig.

I'm a bit late to this thread, I just started to appreciate single malt (blended was never really something I liked, apart from Chivas), I guess it's about reaching a certain age in life. :D So, it was quite interesting to read through the previous replies, you kinda gave me the idea in what order to try...

So far, I can say that Talisker (10YO) & Dalwhinnie (15YO) are something that suit my taste, whereas Laphroaig and Ardbeg are a bit too much peaty I guess, still need to work my taste buds to accept those.

So far, I can say that Talisker (10YO) & Dalwhinnie (15YO) are something that suit my taste, whereas Laphroaig and Ardbeg are a bit too much peaty I guess, still need to work my taste buds to accept those.

i love Talisker and Laphroaig best among these

Ardbeg not as well, but still a lot

Dalwhinnie is my least favorite of the four ... it seems ... too serious, too straight =)

i've only been drinking single malts seriously for about two years (in fact, i got lots of starter tips on this very thread)

i've tried about 40 different bottles so far ... pretty much there hasnt' been one that wasn't good

Opened a bottle the other night. Now I know why some folks dinna like Scotch whisky. It's nose reminded me of rubbing alchohol. :shocked2:

Ok, three years later, and I can more than approve Laphroig QC. :wink: I guess it's an acquired taste.

Tried Clynelish yesterday, tasted very mild comparing to the others already mentioned. Had a a nice Partagas #1 alongside. :D

Bruichladdich will be distilling a 184 proof bomb-shell. Should be available in about 10 years.

Meanwhile, I am keeping my eyes peeled for Ardbeg "very young" (6 or 8 year old) that promises to be a very "frisky" peat monster. So far though, no success.

Slainte mhath.

G_M

Although I have not yet seen the 184 proof whisky, I am pleased to announce that between the time I began this thread, 8 years ago, and now I have been able to sample The Laddy's wee peat monster called Octomore on more than one occasion. There have been three (that I know of) distillations. The first two were so over the top it was like pouring liquid peat into my mouth. The most recent, sampled a few weeks ago was much nicer; a touch of sweetness but still a pounding of peat. Definitely not for the girlie mens.

I was also able to sample the young Ardbegs. I prefer the 10YO.

Ardbeg produced a peat monster called Supernova, and I've tried that more than once as well. Very nice drams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom