Where to dive in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, this is all very good info. I'll definitely get a car, but check with the hotels first to see if they have a better rate than the airport.
BTW, on our last trip to Kona we just rented a condo in Kona. It was cheaper, much closer and saved us hours of vacation time not having to commute from the hotel to town and back.

It looks like all of the major hotel chains have their locations in Waikola (Hilton, Marriott) where we are spending most of our time, I think we are spending one night at the Sheraton in Kailua-Kona. is there anywhere else on the big Island we should target? I'd try to find a small hotel if there is somewhere else on the island that is can't miss.

Thanks

It looks like all of the major hotel chains have their locations in Waikola (Hilton, Marriott) where we are spending most of our time, I think we are spending one night at the Sheraton in Kailua-Kona. is there anywhere else on the big Island we should target? I'd try to find a small hotel if there is somewhere else on the island that is can't miss.

Thanks

I agree with everything posted upthread about renting a car - necessary and worth it.

As for other places, you might see what there is in Hilo, on the other side of the island. We spent a day driving from Waikoloa down around the south end of the island, taking in the black sand beach (and turtles) and the Kilauea volcano, before having dinner in Hilo and driving back across. It was a long day of driving, but well worth the trip.

If you only have 5 days you'll have plenty to do on the Kona side without worrying about heading across to Hilo and back - I think it would be pretty hectic if you were spending so much time in the car. Although, snorkeling the Kapoho tide pools was what got me and my wife into diving in the first place.

We went for 10 days, rented a kayak for 5 days and puttered up and down the Kona coast snorkeling all along the way. Then spent 5 more days in a condo west of Kapoho and did the volcano, the tide pools and waterfalls around Hilo.

You could stick to Kona side and just enjoy what's there. Plenty to do. Like the prior poster, it might be fun to take the south road around and head to the volcano park, for a day - it would be a long day for sure.

We're headed to Maui in April, and will do some diving this time. Will let you know which we liked better - though we're pretty low key so I suspect the mellowness of Kona is more our bag.

Last edited:
Looks like we'll be in the Royal Kona resort for the first 3 days then in Waikola at the hilton and Marriott for the next two.

Definitely going to do the following:
-Manta night dive
-At least one day of diving either from Royal Kona area or Waikola.
-Volcano national park and probably cover as much of the island as possible by car that day.

I'll probably spend one day at the hotel/around town to appease her, but the rest is open to suggestions if anyone has them.

Watch your altitudes in driving over or around the island. Plan accordingly. Also, Bongo Bob's Sunday brunch is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of good diving along Ali'i Drive where the Royal Kona is located. If your looking to shore dive, you couldn't have situated yourself in a better place. The sites are all pretty easy to get too, however a guide will make it much more enjoyable both getting in at the right spot as well a specific areas to check-out. The limiting factor here is during winter and spring months the surf can prevent shore diving at many of the sites. I moved here for the shore diving!

In this case, best to book a couple days of diving to include a Manta, if you really want to maximize your time here, do a morning 2-tank and then an 2-tank manta in the same day. Not all operators do this, check around. If you have dove recently i would recommend the Manta dive first, then do a day dive the next morning, again this will maximize your time to do other things.

have fun while your here....and yes just rent a car, I just had a friend rent a compact for $98 for 5 days.

brian

Been there done that, I gotta tell you that is a grind, give yourself about 12-14 hours and when you get back to Kona you will spend the next day recovering. But then again people come here to just sit on the beach and watch sunsets. It could be a good thing to relax the day before you head back home.

I suggest to do 1/2 the island in a day, then do the other half the next day or the next time your back. It will be a whirlwind and you could say you say the sites, but really wouldn't get to experience them.

Maybe just do the Volcano and Black Sand beach in a day. It is still a full day, leave at 7AM get back about 7PM - the benefit is you won't have to rush and will be better able to have a relaxing time and accept the Aloha spirit that is all around you.

Ah, don't think you will make it back here again....that's what they all say. You may try the other islands, but in the end you know why you made the right choice the first time.

Aloha,

brian

I've got a car rented so I should be good there. Sounds like it is better to do the diving from Kona rather than waikola? I'll see if anyone will let me do a 2 tank dive in the am followed by a 2 tank manta, were you able to find anyone who would Briankon? I do think I'll be back, just not sure when and most likely next time (or next few times) it will be to a different Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom