Quiescence .... Impressions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quiessence is a good operator; they were the pioneers in the small boat less divers arena that many (like me) seem to prefer - I cannot say anything "bad" about them, and yes, I have dove with them in the past.

However - and just my opinion - A better option is "HMS Minnow" - docked behind the Holiday Inn in Key Largo - Jeff Jarvis, owner and captain is an excellent operator, has a small boat (26') and takes a max of 6 divers.

The reason I recommend Jeff over Quiessence is it seems less "commercial", more private - while Jeff is very safety conscious, I don't get the "mother hen" feeling diving with him, as I do from other op's in the Keys - including you know who. He also leaves EARLY (like 7:30 if all the divers are there) so will get to the best sites before other boats - returns earlier giving you more of the day to do other things, or an afternoon dive. Plus, he's a great guy w/ a dry sense of humor!

Check out his website at: www.hmsminnow.com

Jupiter31,
Agree with all you said. My initial post mentioned only Quiescence because that's the op the OP specified. My history with Quiescence dates back many years, but I've actually gone out with Jeff, oh, twenty +/- times more than Quiescence. I would've been out more with both except my idea of early scheduling of a dive trip in K.L. is to talk with the shop/boat the afternoon before. And, both Jeff and Quiescence need at least two paying customers and I'm a loner. To repeat your points; he gets out earlier than other ops and most definitely has a dry (sick) sense of humor.

Quiessence is a good operator; they were the pioneers in the small boat less divers arena that many (like me) seem to prefer - I cannot say anything "bad" about them, and yes, I have dove with them in the past.

However - and just my opinion - A better option is "HMS Minnow" - docked behind the Holiday Inn in Key Largo - Jeff Jarvis, owner and captain is an excellent operator, has a small boat (26') and takes a max of 6 divers.

The reason I recommend Jeff over Quiessence is it seems less "commercial", more private - while Jeff is very safety conscious, I don't get the "mother hen" feeling diving with him, as I do from other op's in the Keys - including you know who. He also leaves EARLY (like 7:30 if all the divers are there) so will get to the best sites before other boats - returns earlier giving you more of the day to do other things, or an afternoon dive. Plus, he's a great guy w/ a dry sense of humor!

Check out his website at: www.hmsminnow.com

Good outfit (Quiesence). My brother and I and our non diving wives used them a couple years ago and did 3 days of a week with them. We had the boat to ourselves and then they were actually cheaper than the rest. I thoroughly enjoyed using them.
icon14.gif

Quiesence is a good op: I've been out with them several times and will do so again in the future. Small boats (like Quiesence's boats) are great in the summer but prefer big boats in the winter (like Conch Republic's or Silent World) when wave action can be more robust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom