American Dive Center in Coral Springs FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tazman1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
New to the board, but been diving since 1983. I dive with several other members. I had my reg serviced here in a rush before diving in the Virgin Islands- what a huge mistake!

Upon return, I went to another Mares authorized shop close to my morning dive as it was free flowing badly. I had them take a look at it. In about 3 minutes they determined that a Mares retrofit for the second stage was not performed on either my primary or Octo. (obvious as new parts are green, old are white, right where you unscrew the hose from the second stage). Upon inspection of the 1st stage, it was apparent the high pressure seat had not been replaced either.

At the end of the day I was duped, and would strongly suggest doing all your Scuba business elsewhere! They will never see another penny from me or any of my 15 dive buddies! :no:

When they handed you back your old parts, did you not notice that the seat in the parts bag was new and shiny as opposed to old and grungy? I can understand you not noticing that they hadn't put in the upgrade kit, as you would see the old white o-rings they took out, but those used seats should have been readily apparent.

Or didn't they hand you the used parts?

Reactions: Jax
Why doncha print out this page, go to the shop, and ask them what's going on with your repair? Maybe they screwed up or maybe they're yet more useless weasels in the dive biz.
The trip also gives you an excuse to stop at El Balcon right near them for some pretty good Colombian food.

... obvious as new parts are green, old are white,

100 % Wrong... REALLY old part kits had green orings. All the new part kits have black oring.

... Upon inspection of the 1st stage, it was apparent the high pressure seat had not been replaced either.
:

Oddly enough, Mares is the only company (that I'm familiar with) that DOES NOT include 1st stage seats and diaphragms in their rebuild kits- They are only replaced when they fail... Sounds like the service center you used initially did not let the regulator sit under pressure long enough to notice the Intermediate pressure creep that would warrent replacing the HP seat..

Last edited:
I was told there was a retrofit for the plastic pieces to set the free flow correctly, that were sent to all Mares authorized dealers. They were to be replaced on all overhauls, or at least on my Maris Axis.The new ones were green, with treads and a harder plastic to prevent possible stripping on install. When the tech took the hose off the first stage, it was immediately apparent this didn't happen as the seats were still white. I'm only going by what the other authorized Mares repair facilty told me when I brought it in for the free flow issue.

You certainly could be right; would not be the first time a mistake was made - OTOH, it would not be the first time one shop/mechanic etc said another one was wrong, or screwed up a repair. It happens - and Tom's suggestion is a good one.

Since this is a public forum, maybe the shop wants to reply - if they made an honest mistake, maybe they deserve another chance.

And I'm sorry to say this - but anytime someone just uses the board to bitch - the LDS or whoever - the bitchee - deserves to respond. FWIW, you may be right - just always 2 sides to every story.

I am manager at American Dive Center in Coral Springs.

Without our technician who worked on this on hand as I write, I'm going to stay away from some of the technical specifics; green o-rings, etc.

We work hard and hold ourselves to high standards. We are a friendly, high-personal-touch, relatively low-volume dive center with relatively new management building on a long history.

We're a PADI Five Star Dive Center and our primary dealership affiliation is with Scubapro. I wish for the sake of access to service kits, training clinics and literature we were an active authorized dealer of every manufacturer of scuba diving equipment. In that we may sometimes service some equipment without that direct access to every manufacturer, I believe we are like many dive centers, or independent mechanics of cars or boats or computers or appliances. A web search for +"service all" +scuba or +"repair all" +scuba finds many who will service all makes of equipment.

Before the customer's equipment left the door, our master technician, well-trained and with years of experience, ensured it passed his industry-standard bench tests.

Subsequently, with use, our customer reports that it freeflowed. If we had been convenient to him and had that chance to make it right I know we would have dug into it thoroughly and done everything we could to do so. Another shop was convenient and they had the chance, and also happened to have that immediate direct line to the manufacturer.

I am hurt, but mostly stunned and puzzled by the assertion, completely new to us, that we "duped" our customer. We've carefully revisited everything that happened in this service and customer relationship and haven't seen a shade of misrepresentation on the part of anyone on our team. This is the first we've even heard of it. We would treat it very seriously if thee were anything to it. I think it is almost certainly an overstatement on the poster's part.

Whatever other difference you might have with us, I appeal to your honesty to take this back.

I am terribly sorry the regulator freeflowed with use, that you were inconvenienced, and that we did not have the chance to fix it and win this one and win back your confidence ourselves.

I am confident we have not misrepresented anything. We are honest and conscientious and do our best to serve our community of divers and snorkelers and friends. If and when we fall short on a job we will work even harder to make things right.

Dive safely, everyone,
Jonathan at ADC, 954 346 0174

. I had my reg serviced here in a rush before diving in the Virgin Islands- what a huge mistake!

The other huge mistake was not checking/diving your regulator before heading off on a dive trip. My past experiences are that the likely hood of regulator failure/multifunction is much higher after service.

OP, did you call or visit the shop? I mean, if they made a mistake, which can happen, did they get a chance to address it and blew you off? It seems like they didn't know there was a problem until reading this post.
I have never intentionally or carelessly given bad service. Have I or mine made mistakes? You bet. As people, it happens no matter how careful you are. But we certainly made things right. Did they?

Why doncha print out this page, go to the shop, and ask them what's going on with your repair? Maybe they screwed up or maybe they're yet more useless weasels in the dive biz.
The trip also gives you an excuse to stop at El Balcon right near them for some pretty good Colombian food.

I assure you that my staff or myself aren't weasels! I worked in education before becoming owner of ADC; I've dove since 1986 when I was ten years old. Every reg is serviced to industry standards, tested, and a bag of used parts is returned with the reg. We stand by our work.

Best,
Lauren

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom