Good Intro Reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron528

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to be trying out boat diving/shallow wrecks (70-90 ft) in the North Atlantic (NJ) for the first time this summer...all of my 100+ dives have either been in Carribean warm water, lakes or quarries. I already have the requisite pony bottle and SMB, but I need to buy a reel. I've seen range of $25 up to $300+ for tec dive reels. I don't plan on doing a lot of this kind of diving so I don't want to break the bank but I don't want a POC either. Anyone have suggestions for me to compare?

Well, you pretty well get what you pay for with reels. DiveRite reels are basic, cheap, and usable. Thier downside is that they are plastic (more prone to breakage), and they have a HUGE gap which can jam with line. Others, like the Salvo (and similarly made ones) are made very well and not prone to line jams.

Edit - I meant cheap as in "not as expensive many of the others".

Slack line in the water is your enemy, it will try to tangle with you and everything else given the chance.

I have a Dive Rite medium classic and two sidewinders. The safety and the primary. I would not call them cheap. Inexpensive compared to some of the others but not cheaply made. The sidewinders have no gap. In fact I added a small teflon shim to my smaller one to make it turn easier. The ones to stay away from are those that are all plastic and have things like ratchets. Make sure you get some instruction on proper reel handing from an instructor or mentor. Every instance of reel jamming and tangling that I have seen personally was from improper technique more than anything. Once you've gotten that guidance - practice as often as possible.

Check ebay, the classifieds here and on other boards. Nothing wrong with a used reel and line is cheap so if you do go used plan on replacing it.

just get a 50m finger spool. it's fine for basic rec penetrations - and you wont cry if you need to leave it in a wreck...

Thanks...any particular brand you'd suggest? I've never used one of those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom