The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there access to the west side of the western bridge without crossing the channel? Is there a good reason to go there? How deep is it at the last piling before the channel? What is the earliest I can get into the park to start diving? Where are the nearest dive shops if I need a fill?

Is there access to the west side of the western bridge without crossing the channel? Is there a good reason to go there? How deep is it at the last piling before the channel? What is the earliest I can get into the park to start diving? Where are the nearest dive shops if I need a fill?

You can find tons of good info on the Jammin Beach website: jamminbeach.com

There are two dive shops very close to the bridge: Force E on Blue Heron Blvd. if you're coming from I-95 and Pura Vida on Singer Island. They can help you with any rentals, fills and also give you up-to-date conditions on the day you dive.

As far as diving on the west side of the bridge: I know some locals who do it but there is no public parking and you are in the boat channel as soon as you enter the water. There is more than enough to see at Phil Foster Park. Really.

Thanks, that site had everything I needed except what time the park opens and where to send the non divers. Any suggestions?

Most everything I have read says "be at the waters edge 30 minutes before high tide." With that in mind, when exactly should you ENTER the water?

Most everything I have read says "be at the waters edge 30 minutes before high tide." With that in mind, when exactly should you ENTER the water?
This depends on several things.
There are some areas with far less current during tide change than others....
I can go in 2 to 2.5 hours early, but the current will be big when you go west of the beach ....If you like big current, as I do, not big deal. Most do not like currents over 2 mph, so if you want in early, you "could" walk east down the beach to 50 feet or so east of the shipwreck site ( between the cabin cruiser and the sailboat), and swim out there....current should not be terrible even 2 hours early, but there will be a current..stay low to the bottom. stay flat horizontal, and do frog kick so you dont silt up the bottom. If you dont know how to do frog kick, you need more instruction :)
From 2 hours early, once at the shipwreck, chill out there for an hour, then drift with the current towards the west and make the curve toward the bridge and channel crossing. The 18 foot deep area lets you out of the current a bit, and will be pristine still, as few lame divers will have been out silting up the bottom yet (by swimming head up and feet down, kangarooing along the bottom). Since this type of diver has zero skills, they have to wait until the current slows to a near stop, or they are blown to wherever the current wants to push them :)

There are also plenty of good divers who just don't like fighting currents, thus the wait til around 30 minutes prior to peak high tide. But this is not the only way to dive the BHB. Sandra and I can get 3 hours on a tank here any day we want to.

Thanks, that site had everything I needed except what time the park opens and where to send the non divers. Any suggestions?

The park is open 24/7 but you can only dive sun up to sun down. Here is a handy link to the tides - so you can check for the week you're here. Force E is sponsoring a night dive on Friday April 1. It's free, you just need to register with them. Try to make it if possible - highly recommended!

Tides for Port of Palm Beach (Lake Worth) on April 2011

Sorry can't help with non-diving options unless you're interested in Fort Lauderdale and further south.

jet

Where to send the non-divers :
  1. Sailfish marina..restaurant/bar on the intracoastal ( you can see it from BHB) , very colorful and cool place to hang out ..
  2. From sailfish, they can take the WATER TAXI to many places...including the downtown Clematis entertainment district.
  3. Kayaking or hiking at Macarthurs park....if you had just gone over the bridge on to singer island from the mainland, you would keep going about 2 miles..the park will be on your right...you really can't miss it. It is a huge nature preserve, spectacular eco-tourism, with kayaking in the mangrove environment. They may also have stand up paddle boarding....if they don't, the Hilton on singer Island would, and I think Pura vida dive charters on the island has this as well.
  4. There is a jet ski concession at the riviera beach municipal marina, about 2 miles away....
Give me some specific interests....chances are I will come up with something for your friends...

Hello, I am the owner of Admirals Club of Singer Island. We are adjacent to the Blue Heron Bridge. Our address is 2615 Lake Drive, Singer Island, 33404. We are trying to get the word out to the dive community about our site and situation. We have been working with Force E dive shop, allowing them to dive our backyard and in return they refer us for lodging. The owner Skip and his crew could not be nicer. They are very courteous and professional. We provide 2 bedroom apts. for rent with access to Blue Heron Bridge from our backyard. I hope I am not ruffling feathers from doing some self promotion on a dive site but this seems like the perfect forum. Our website is ADMIRAL'S CLUB - Home.

That reminds me. When there late last month, I took this photo. Forgot and didn't check with them last week. I believe it is also on Lake Drive (if it is still open). The price looked right. . .

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_3618wa.jpg
    IMG_3618wa.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 93
We dove BHB today. Weather was amazing...coolish but oh so sunny...water was 70 degrees, viz probably not more than 15 feet...this was on the east side of the park, near the construction area. Had hoped to see some big critters, as we saw a manatee and a bunch of spotted eagle rays the last time we dove this side but they were somewhere else today. Still, all in all a good dive. Overheard the lifeguard telling some people that the water was off limits to swimmers due to "really high bacteria levels"...also the sign by the lifeguard shack said "closed to swimmers" or something...that made me chuckle a little. There were maybe 15 other divers spread out on the east side, so it was pretty nice...not crowded at all.

I agree, beautiful day and what I thought were alot of divers, yet we rarely encountered anyone under. Viz wasn't good....but it's always better than housework:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom