Need some Coz hotel advice, pls.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the north are Condumel and Cantamar along with Villa Aldora - all located just beyond the President's summer home but before Pto Abrigo marina. This is walkable to me, or a pretty cheap cab ride. Waterfront and NICE. Cantamar is more $$ as it has a pool and the units are 2 bedroom full on condos. Great balconies. Condumel is a beautiful bedroom + living room with a full kitchen. The kitchen is stocked with basic food stuff - including beer. You pay for what you use. I would stay in either again in a heartbeat.

IMHO the Barracuda has (sadly) gone downhill. The no name bar has created a total spring break atmosphere night and day right in front of all the rooms. Anybody can come in and use the pool, hang out all day and get wasted. And they do. Music blares all day so no siesta/nap. If that's your scene then go for it. It has one of the the best in-town locations right on the water but I won't go there again.

Condumel - Condominium Accommodations in Cozumel

Cantamar condos don't seem to have 1 website anymore, they are individually owned. Google. Here's one:
Cantamar Condos: 2 B.R. oceanfront condos in Cozumel, Mexico

It's not the closest to town, but a place like Caribe Blue sure meets most of your requirements and there are several places nearby to eat.....Hotel Barracuda also may work and Scuba Club Cozumel.

Just got back Saturday from a week at Casa Del Mar. As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat their all inclusive plan, $39 a day, all your meals & drinks, alcohol included. You can do appetizers, soup, salad, main course & dessert, if you can eat it all. I went downtown Sunday night, the rest of the time I didn't leave the grounds, taxi no necessito. The pier is right over the bridge. They have the beach area & a pool, which was freezing in December but nice in February, go figure. WiFi in the lobby. For those who want a little more than a hotel room, that's me, they have 8 cabanas with a bedroom downstairs & a living room/kitchen with a stove, 1/2 fridge & microwave, plus a 2nd bathroom with shower upstairs, for, I believe, $350 more per cabana. Upstairs, the sofa turns into a bed, which can be left as a bed for your entire stay, for 2 singles to share the cabana, one up, one down. A lot of our singles do this. There is also a 2 bedroom cabana available, really nice, with everything including washer/dryer & a bar in the living room. Cabanas have WiFi, although I get better results in the lobby.

No, I don't have any affiliation with the place. I go there at least twice a year & was just there with 25 people so we kinda got to understand what the place is about. Before the all inclusive, the place was OK. Now, it fits my needs completely.

If you're willing to gamble, find something that you would be happy with and get a refundable deposit. A couple weeks out, contact Albert at El Cantil to see what kind of 'last minute' rate he is willing to offer up. We've been very successful in the past with this method. We've had 2, 3 & 4 bedroom units, which now includes breakfast at Prima's, for less than double than what we were planning to pay for a euro plan hotel room. Last Xmas, we had friends set in a beautiful 3 bedroom unit and other friends staying next door at the Palace, the friends staying at the Palace were stocked when they saw the unit compared to what they were paying at the Palace.

Casa del Mar is a long-time favorite among the diver crowd, they have always had good reviews on staff, lodging and food. The hotel is located accross the street from the ocean, and is a low-rise so I'm not sure how many rooms have ocean views, I think most are pool/garden views.

Don't know much about Casa Mexicana, they always get good reviews also, although I think the pick up for diving is a little tricky because they are located downtown.

Also consider Blue Angel, even if you are diving with another op, you will be able to be picked up at thier pier; they have ocean views (all rooms), good restaurant on site, and only a short mile out of town, easy walk or a $4 cab ride.

There is also the Baracuda, like Casa del Mar a long time fav. of many divers.

It's not the closest to town, but a place like Caribe Blue sure meets most of your requirements and there are several places nearby to eat.....Hotel Barracuda also may work and Scuba Club Cozumel.

Caribe Blue is now Blue Angel Resort...just in case folks don't know yet. :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately, we won't be able to go until after the 19th, so we will miss the "invasion." I have sent an email to our dive op to be sure there are no pier issues. I am probably leaning towards Casa Mexicana over Casa del Mar at this point , but will take some time to check out the new suggestions before deciding.

Our dive op will keep our gear while we are there, so I am not too concerned about lugging it around, most of it will only need to go to the room a couple times.

I don't care about AI, but can also get a good price at Fiesta Americana even with meals included, and their breakfast buffet wasn't bad, so I am not ruling it out yet, either.

The "problem" with Cozumel is that there are just too many great choices :D

i am usually a casa mx or aqua safari guy depending on budget. however, i hear good things about villas anclas (sp?). they are always sold out when i go but june might be ok. about 2 blocks north of sq.

[The Vista Del is a nice place, close to town and very clean. Not fancy.... Have stayed there many times. And Aldora does pick up from there

QUOTE=DeltaWardog;5778947]You might look at Vista del Mar. That's the only place I've stayed that was in town. It has a top deck with nice views, all the rooms are ocean facing I believe, and the higher up you are the better the view. We stayed on the 4th floor and it was a lot of fun to hang out on the balcony and watch the crowd going by in the afternoons.

There is a small, frigid pool with no view whatsoever so you can pretty much write that off.

The rooms are very nice, and if you close the storm shutters at night it is very quiet in the room and even though I'm a very light sleeper the street noise didn't bother me. Without the storm shutters closed it was way too loud for me to sleep.

There are many piers out front but my dive op doesn't come that far north for pickups so I drove to the Caleta every day. I did see Aldora (I think) picking up every day right across the street. Check with your dive op.[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom